PhD in Integrated Management of Water, Soil and Waste
UNU-FLORES and the Technische Universität Dresden are accepting applications from graduates in engineering, social sciences, and natural sciences for their Joint PhD Programme in Integrated Management of Water, Soil, and Waste. The tuition-free programme aims at creating a new generation of environmental scientists, engineers, and managers, to conduct, promote, and provide guidance on the sustainable management of water, soil, and waste.
In line with UNU-FLORES’s research agenda, research topics for dissertations will be focused on solving current challenges related to the nexus of water, soil, and waste and contributing to the advancement of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Candidates should develop a short research proposal detailing their specific interests in the topic, the regional focus of their research, indication of data availability, and so on. The research topic could be relevant (but not exclusively) to:
- SDG 2 (Zero hunger), e.g., related to sustainable intensification of agriculture, including safe use of wastewater in agriculture, the integration of organic waste into small-holder farming or water productivity in irrigated agriculture;
- SDG 6 (Clean water and sanitation), e.g., related to water quality indicators and monitoring, nature-based solutions for wastewater treatment, monitoring of rural water supply systems or groundwater quality in wastewater treatment systems;
- SDG 12 (Responsible consumption and production), e.g., related to the integration of organic waste and wastewater into biomass production, nexus-oriented waste management;
- SDG 13 (Climate action), e.g., related to climate impacts on water and soil management and respective climate adaptation strategies;
- SDG 15 (Life on land), e.g., related to managing multi functional land-use systems to secure soil- and water-related ecosystem services, particularly in dryland areas.
The window for the current application period is 1 August to 15 September 2019.
For further information on the PhD Programme, including application details and requirements, please visit the PhD Programme page.