Consultant: Engineer Technical Advisor (WASH)
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager Community Stabilization and the direct supervision of the Project Officer Community Stabilization, and in close coordination with the IOM Niger Procurement and Logistics unit, the successful candidate is responsible and accountable for providing technical advice for the coordination and supervision of all the activities which require specific civil engineering knowledge (in particular water and sanitation engineering).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Effectively support the Project Manager (PM) and Project Officers to coordinate work activities according to criteria specified, on time and within budget to the best interests of IOM.
- Assist in the assessment of needs for construction and rehabilitation interventions, approved and agreed on by the communities.
- Prepare or adapt sketches and design of civil and hydraulic works for the execution of works (such as borehole drilling, water supply networks, sanitary facilities, but also constructions of buildings etc.).
- Prepare or revise bill of quantities and construction plans related to the construction works.
- Draft technical documents necessary for launching of tender process.
- In coordination with PM, effectively liaise with national technical line counterpart for each initiative.
- Assist the PM to supervise local engineers in charge of on-site implementation, and provide technical guidance and expertise to the manpower in charge of the works.
- Ensure accurate handover of infrastructures to the communes.
- Advise and draft Terms of Reference for feasibility studies to be undertaken as required.
- Contribute to compile lessons learned from implemented infrastructures, experiences from other Communes, and beneficiary feedback for the revision of strategies and upcoming activities.
- Report to and discuss with the project staff any technical issues which may have a direct impact on the general implementation of the project or of the organization’s activities in the area.
- Prepare reports on her/his activities as per the PM’s requests.
- Keep herself/himself up-to-date on sector working groups’ and local authorities’ news, reports, recommendations, requirements, etc.
- Establish contacts with counterparts (technical co-ordinators from other agencies) and share with them techniques, knowledge, approaches related to construction works.
- Help design and revise the construction works component of the project work-plan and monitor that the implementation of the construction activities respects the time-table milestones and deadlines.
- Quickly react to changes - of any kind - in the context in which the project activities are being implemented, inform the senior management about them and contribute to finding proper adjustments.
- Undertake duty travel as required to provide technical guidance to project staff and implementing partners and to compile field monitoring reports highlighting implementation challenges and solutions.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Civil Hydraulic or Environmental Engineering with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated previous experience in planning, implementation, supervision and monitoring of Water and Sanitation projects with particular reference to Water Supply, Wastewater treatment and Borehole drilling;
- Proven field experience in the implementation of humanitarian projects, in complex emergencies and with experience from working in a difficult security environment;
- Good skills in training, capacity building, supervision and monitoring;
- Previous experience with international NGOs, United Nations, Bilateral or Multilateral agencies in diversified cultural background and hard work situation will be of added advantage.
- For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of local language/s is an advantage.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality. The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation. Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 July 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.