Sector Engagement Partnerships Advisor
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Sector Engagement team at Water.org leads the organizational engagement of bilateral and multilateral development institutions for the purposes of influencing governments, global water and sanitation finance forum decision-making, and the policies and practices of these institutions. This team strategically guides and strengthens Water.org's engagement skill in systems and collective impact with scale-enabling development finance institutions, government actors, and sector resource leaders and facilitates effective global-local relationships to underpin country strategies. The Sector Engagement team proactively and successfully cultivates and manages global relationships with these institutions and within these forums; while also providing opportunity landscaping, targeted policy and practice advice and assistance to our country teams, and influence leadership within and on behalf of Water.org.
The Sector Engagement Partnerships Advisor within the Sector Engagement team is primarily responsible for operating as a high performing, highly visible and strategic relationship manager of Water.org’s global partnerships with global and regional development finance institutions (both multilateral and bi-lateral banks) and Aid Agencies. The Advisor focuses on building and curating a robust portfolio of global and regional relationships with development finance institutions and aid agencies that underpin Water.org’s strategic scale-enabling plan; by coordinating with and supporting global and local country offices to effectively partner with and leverage these Enabler relationships. High-performing relationship management also requires the Advisor to research, synthesize and provide in-depth strategy analysis, ensure maintenance of a body of partner collateral, Enabler objectives, milestones and communications throughout the fiscal year.
The Sector Engagement Partnerships Advisor role is based in or around Washington DC.
Relationship Management 70%
- Coordinate with the SE Practice Lead to ensure a robust Enabler pipeline strategy.
- Ensure each Enabler engagement strategy is effectively tailored to fuel Water.org’s global strategic plan and serves into country objectives; and ensure it is up-to-date including objectives, milestones and meeting communications.
- The Advisor plays a visible externally-facing role representing Water.org
- Identify, cultivate and manage a complex array of institutional relationships within a discreet group of global, regional and local DFIs, with The World Bank, IFC, IDB, ADB, USAID and other development aid agencies.
- Strategically inform and coordinate with the Global Investors Practice to ensure smooth and optimal DFI relationship management is maintained to surface deal flow opportunity to expand capital into the sector.
- Execute customer focus with excellence by maintaining a regular cadence of in-person meetings, calls and written communications with DFI Enablers to facilitate deep personal rapport that builds trust for Water.org as the Partner of Choice throughout the fiscal year.
- Coordinate closely and inform country offices regularly to facilitate optimal global-local collaboration and communication; including regular presence in-country to lead or support stakeholder meetings, influential engagements and intervention partnerships.
- Know your Audience! Maintain and on-going body of Enabler partner research and synthesis of partner activity, priorities, footprint, and grant investments so to ensure the SE Practice and country teams are equipped with in-depth sector and institutional knowledge to be highly strategic and influential in driving collective impact, systems change and able to catalyze capital for water and sanitation outcomes.
- Be a visible influence as co-convener and vocal presence as panelist and co-presenter at global and regional sector conferences, workshops, fora, and coalition meetings
Administration and Information 30%
- Track annual relationship objectives through quarterly score card evaluation
- Ensure compliance of Enabler relationship management platforms, files and processes
- Ensure accuracy and currency of Enabler partner enterprise organigrams so Water.org teams and departments understand the broad priorities of the DFI as well as the lines of reporting and overlap presence with Water.org teams and initiatives.
- Contribute to a set of partner collateral including partner guides, partner agreements, 1-2 pagers and Power Point presentations working collaboratively with the Sector Engagement Analyst and Manager, Sector Strategy.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Maintain Enabler DFI pipeline.
- Cultivate and manage influential DFI partnerships and prospects.
- Research and manage data and insights on partnerships.
- Maintain suite of Enabler collateral and set annual Enabler priorities and objectives.
- Participate in key sector convenings.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer- centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree required in international development, politics/international politics, business, or other related discipline requiring both strong analytical and presentation skills. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years demonstrated success managing global level stakeholder relationships, preference for DFI relationships.
- Previous experience working in a DFI or aid agency preferred.
- Required experience with multi-stakeholder initiatives and partnerships
- Excellent demonstrated relationship management skills and acumen
- Advanced project management skills required with highly developed ability to research and synthesize results.
- Advanced ability to organize complex array of information and transfer into advanced PowerPoint presentations.
- ·Demonstrated success leading executive and senior decision maker engagement.
- Confidence and effective presentation skills on the global stage essential.
- Previous partnership broker training a plus.
- Previous CRM experience a plus.
Travel Requirement: Up to 40% of domestic and global travel.
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Please apply at http://water.org/about/careers/
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.