Senior Global WASH Advisor
Are you a WASH specialist with a passion for training? CAWST is not like other organizations, and this position is not like others. We are looking for a unique combination of skills, experience and interests including water and sanitation, international development, and capacity development of WASH practitioners. You believe that everybody can learn, and you love training and supporting others to develop their WASH knowledge and skills. You are enterprising, resourceful, and motivated. You have an insatiable curiosity and are deeply committed to applying your skills and experience to making the world a better place.
The Senior Global WASH Advisor (SGWA) is part of CAWST’s Training & Consulting team. In this position, you will provide leadership and guidance to the Training and Consulting team, and take responsibility for complex assignments of strategic importance to the organization. As a SGWA, you will work directly with client organizations to increase their capacity to start, strengthen and grow their WASH programs. You will provide professional technical training and ongoing consulting support to help clients overcome technical and implementation challenges.
The SGWA provides expert advice and guidance on non-networked WASH technical topics and project implementation that supports practitioners to implement relevant, effective, and sustainable programs.
The SGWA also works with Water Expertise and Training (WET) Centres and other Capacity Service Providers to strengthen their capacity development services.
Each SGWA is assigned responsibility for managing relationships and CAWST service provision in several countries, and developing and executing on their country and regional plans.
The SGWA works closely with all CAWST departments and in particular with Research & Learning and Virtual Services cross-departmental project teams.
Areas of Responsibility
1. Build capacity of organizations to implement WASH projects and services. (35% time allocation)
- Train practitioners and client organizations, using a variety of methods including workshops, apprenticing, mentoring and consulting.
- Provide face-to-face and online consulting support to clients, to help them solve technical challenges, and overcome barriers to implementation of relevant, effective, and sustainable WASH programs.
- Adapt CAWST workshops and resources to various roles, skill levels, contexts and needs of clients.
- Keep up-to-date on technical competencies, relevant research and trends in the WASH sector.
2. Strengthen the capacity of organizations to provide WASH capacity development services. (20% time allocation)
- Work with CAWST’s Water Expertise and Training (WET) Centre partners and other organizations to develop their skills and capabilities in providing WASH training, consulting and expertise.
- Work with partner organizations to develop strategy and plans, and seek funding.
3. Provide expertise and support T&C team to strengthen capacity in implementation of relevant, effective, and sustainable programs. (10% time allocation)
- Provide leadership to the Training and Consulting team, including expert advice, guidance and co-development of new initiatives of organizational and strategic importance.
- Coach and mentor other members of the T&C team, and support them to fulfil their roles.
- Act as leading authority in one or more significant topic in the sector, or within own function; provide expert advice to other staff.
4. Develop Business, Client and Funder Relations. (15% time allocation)
- Develop and maintain strong client relationships.
- Identify new potential training, networking and client support opportunities.
- Co-initiate and develop new initiatives of organizational and strategic importance
- Actively identify and follow-up on opportunities to fund the operations of CAWST’s Global Services.
- Work closely with the fund development team and contribute to funding proposals.
5. Planning, Reporting and Management. (15% time allocation)
- Prepare country and regional strategies and plans, and develop strong understanding of country contexts, client organizations, and key water & sanitation issues.
- Handle highly specialized, unusual, and complex assignments of strategic importance to the organization; resolve complex issues in practical and imaginative ways.
- Effectively manage or lead large or strategically significant projects, involving staff from various departments and/or multiple external stakeholders
- Contribute to CAWST’s operations and business cycle (e.g., operations planning, monthly operations reporting, budget reconciliations, timesheets, and other reports).
6. Contribute to CAWST’s Learning, Research, and other initiatives. (5% time allocation)
- Advance CAWST’s learning and research tools and resources, by collaborating with our Learning team to produce and maintain education materials and tools, and act as subject matter expert as required.
- Advance CAWST’s practical research, by collaborating with the Research & Learning team to identify practical research topics and support research projects as required.
- Capture and share relevant information, data, stories, multi-media for CAWST’s monitoring, reporting and communications.
- Actively participate in personal and organizational professional development, including CAWST’s semi-annual Learning Exchanges (January and June).
Any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Directors of Training and Consulting.
The ideal candidate is a WASH professional with considerable practical experience and broad WASH technical knowledge and skills. This important role requires a person who is service and solutions oriented, and enjoys helping others learn.
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in engineering, sciences, public health or other relevant discipline
- 8+ years experience implementing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs, including a minimum of three years delivering training and capacity development services.
- Significant experience implementing and managing projects in the following is highly desirable:
- Sanitation and excreta management
- Hygiene or health promotion and behaviour change
- Water supply and treatment
- Fluent written and spoken English is required
- Fluent written and spoken French or Spanish is an asset
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent technical knowledge and experience implementing water, sanitation and hygiene interventions.
- Able to create a participatory learning environment and use a range of cross-cultural, participatory training and facilitation methods
- Service-oriented and committed to providing the highest level of professional service to clients and colleagues
- Strategic and proactive in project management and coordination
- Comfortable with complexity and ambiguity, has good judgement based on objective analysis, experience and common sense.
- Easily and quickly establishes credibility with clients and other stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communications
Easily adapts to different contexts, and able to maintain a professional and diplomatic approach in dynamic and challenging situations
Please apply by sending your cover letter, resume, and completed questionnaire via LinkedIn. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled.
Please note: Only resumes from candidates eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed; and only those applicants granted an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.