Global WASH Advisor
Are you a WASH specialist with a passion for training? CAWST is not like other organizations, and this position is not like others. We are looking for a unique combination of skills, experience and interests including water and sanitation, international development, and capacity development of WASH practitioners. You believe that everybody can learn, and you love training and supporting others to develop their WASH knowledge and skills. You are enterprising, resourceful, and motivated. You have an insatiable curiosity and are deeply committed to applying your skills and experience to making the world a better place.
The Global WASH Advisor (GWA) is part of CAWST’s Training & Consulting team. In this position you will work directly with client organizations to increase their capacity to start, strengthen and grow their WASH programs. As a GWA, you will be responsible for providing professional technical training and ongoing consulting support to help our clients overcome technical and implementation challenges.
You will also work with Water Expertise and Training (WET) Centres and Training Organizations to strengthen their capacity development services.
Each GWA is assigned responsibility for managing relationships and CAWST service provision in several countries, and developing and executing on their country and regional plans.
The GWA works closely with all CAWST departments and in particular with Research Learning and Virtual Services cross-departmental project teams.
Areas of Responsibility
1. Build capacity of organizations to implement WASH projects and services. (50% time allocation)
- Train practitioners and client organizations, using a variety of methods including workshops, apprenticing, mentoring and consulting.
- Provide face-to-face and online consulting support to clients, to help them solve technical challenges and overcome barriers to implementation.
- Adapt CAWST workshops and resources to various roles, skill levels, contexts and needs of clients.
- Keep up-to-date on technical competencies, relevant research and trends in the WASH sector.
2. Strengthen the capacity of organizations to provide WASH capacity development services. (30% time allocation)
- Work with CAWST’s Water Expertise and Training (WET) Centre partners and other organizations to develop their skills and capabilities in providing WASH training, consulting and expertise.
- Work with partner organizations to develop strategy and plans, and seek funding.
3. Develop Business, Client and Funder Relations. (10% time allocation)
- Develop and maintain strong client relationships.
- Identify new potential training, networking and client support opportunities.
- Seek funding to support your operations plan, including developing relationships with potential funders in your area of responsibility.
- Work closely with the fund development team and contribute to funding proposals that include programs in your region, or area of expertise.
4. Contribute to CAWST’s Learning, Research, and other initiatives. (5% time allocation)
- Advance CAWST’s learning and research tools and resources, by collaborating with our Learning team to produce, maintain, review and update education materials and tools, and act as subject matter expert contributing your skills and knowledge as required.
- Advance CAWST’s practical research, by collaborating with the Research & Learning team to identify practical research topics and support research projects as required.
- Capture and share relevant information, data, stories, multi-media for CAWST’s monitoring, reporting and communications.
- Actively participate in personal and organizational professional development, including CAWST’s semi-annual Learning Exchanges (January and June).
5. Planning, Reporting and Management. (5% time allocation)
- Prepare country and regional strategies and plans, including definition of activities, targets and budgets.
- Develop strong understanding of country contexts, client organizations, and key water & sanitation issues.
- Act as project manager, as appropriate, taking responsibility for planning, delivery and reporting on approved projects.
- Contribute as appropriate to CAWST’s operations and business cycle (e.g., operations planning, monthly operations reports, budget reconciliations, timesheets, and trip reports).
Any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Directors of Training and Consulting.
The ideal candidate is a WASH professional with considerable practical experience and broad WASH technical knowledge and skills. This important role requires a person who is service and solutions oriented, and enjoys helping others learn.
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in engineering, sciences, public health or other relevant discipline
- 5- 8 years experience implementing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs, including a minimum of three years delivering training and capacity development services.
- Significant experience implementing and managing projects in the following is highly desirable:
- Sanitation and excreta management
- Hygiene or health promotion and behaviour change
- Water supply and treatment
- Fluent written and spoken English and French required
- Fluent written and spoken Spanish is an asset
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent technical knowledge and skills in implementing water, sanitation and hygiene interventions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, with the ability to engage with different audiences to build rapport and motivate individuals
- Able to create a participatory learning environment and use a range of cross-cultural, participatory training and facilitation methods
- Problem solver, resourceful, and able to troubleshoot technical problems quickly and effectively
- Strategic and proactive in coordination and project management
- Service-oriented and consistently seeks to provide a high level of professional service to clients and colleagues
- Easily and quickly establishes credibility with clients and other stakeholders
- Professional and diplomatic approach; works well independently, within teams, and across teams
- Enjoys international travel, able to work in challenging situations in different cultures, and easily adapts to different contexts
- Proficient with Windows-based computer programs, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Please apply by sending your cover letter, resume, and completed questionnaire via LinkedIn. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled.
Please note: Only resumes from candidates eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed; and only those applicants granted an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.