Communications and Fundraising Coordinator
Our Vision: A world where all people, everywhere, enjoy equitable access to safely managed and dignified sanitation services which improve health, reduce poverty and safeguard the environment, and treat human waste as a valued resource.
Who we Are:
The newly-formed Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) Alliance helps to support the growth and development of the FSM sector and its contributions to inclusive and sustainable urban sanitation services.
The founding members of the FSM Alliance have all been active in developing, promoting, researching, investing in safe, inclusive sustainable sanitation solutions around the world where conventional sewered systems may be inappropriate. Together, the Alliance’s founding member-organizations have convened the biennial FSM Conferences (five conferences to date) to raise the profile of the problem and available solutions, increase the sharing of knowledge amongst academic and independent researchers and practitioners, facilitate more evidence-building and foster the growth of the ‘sub-sector’. Together, the organizations have supported the participation of national and local government officials, SME businesses, academics and non-government development organizations active in the sanitation sector in the conferences to encourage interest in and take up of FSM solutions.
Over the last eight years since the first FSM Conference, much has been achieved, but more work is needed to firmly establish FSM solutions as part of mainstream urban sanitation planning. The FSM Alliance was created to bring together all sanitation stakeholders to streamline and continue the efforts of the founding organizations.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Research appropriate opportunities and trends and share findings with the Executive Secretary.
- Support the fundraising initiatives in all aspects of the proposal development process for project-specific funding proposals.
- Ensure that the FMS Alliance is presented in a professional manner to its various stakeholders and cultivate and foster good external relations
- Coordinate meetings with stakeholders and support other stakeholder management.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date information regarding the details of relevant donors and grant agreements.
- Assist in the tracking of donor reporting deadlines, working with the appropriate parties to ensure these are met.
- Conduct research on individual, corporate and foundation prospects.
- Coordinate the production of a range of materials for donor solicitation, including background materials and collateral to leave with funders.
- Assist in drafting proposals and funder reports.
- Update organizational and funder commitment information on the FSM Alliance website and on donor information sites.
- Assist with planning and executing special fundraising events and other organization-wide events.
- Monitor, record and evaluate media coverage, website, social media and e-bulletin performance through accessing relevant statistics. reporting to the Head of Communications.
- Under guidance of the Executive secretary, source photographs (commissioning photographers if necessary), upload images to the FSM Alliance photo library and support staff in the taking and use of photographs, to ensure we always have a bank of strong images to reflect our work.
- Support the Communications team in planning communications activities, for example through
- updating the Communications planner calendar and other tools.
- Assist in keeping our digital channels up-to-date, by researching and preparing content.
- Draft and update website content, including writing blogs.
- Write and schedule social media posts.
- Proofread and copyedit publications, reports, remarks and presentations.
- Help ensure that communications are consistent in design and tone and follow the organizational style guide.
- Track partnership commitments.
- Assist with the maintenance of our ongoing communications calendar of upcoming content.
- Support the team with webinar presentations and email blasts.
- In conjunction with the Executive Secretary and Program and Events Manager, help to develop messages for key events to promote fundraising and generate funds.
- Manage press and publicity for fundraisers and fundraising events. This includes:
- Communicating with stakeholders to source information
- Media relations - contacting print and broadcast publications
- Drafting and distributing press releases
- Creating content for fundraising print, web and social media marketing materials, and organize distribution.
- Answer telephone queries from the general public.
- Perform other duties that the Executive Secretary may consider appropriate
Education and Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferable in Communications, Public Relations, or International Development
- Minimum 2-3 years full-time experiencing in a client-facing communications or fundraising capacity
- Strong passion and commitment to the WASH sector
- Non-profit experience preferred, but not required
- Two professional references
- Excellent writing skills, with ability to convey complex information concisely.
- Research and analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with others across a team and organization.
- Solid numeracy and planning skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Good computer and IT skills including using databases.
- Creative, flexible character with openness to new ideas.
- Familiarity with communications, fundraising
- Graphic design abilities/experience a plus
- Technology savviness, fluent using Twitter, blogs, web, database and other IT systems
- Highly organized, accurate and responsible
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multitask, identify priorities and meet deadlines
Bremer Arbeitsgemeinschaft für
Überseeforschung und Entwicklung e.V.
Tel. + 49 421 40 89 52 - 0