Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert (IRH)
The Global Environment Facility (GEF)
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) (www.thegef.org) unites 183-member governments—in partnership with international institutions, non-governmental organizations and the private sector—to address global environment issues. An independently operating financial organization, the GEF provides grants for projects related to biodiversity, climate change, international waters, land degradation, the ozone layer and persistent organic pollutants. Since 1991, the GEF has provided US$12.5 billion in grants and leveraged US$58 billion in co-financing for 3,690 projects in 165 developing countries. Through its Small Grants Programme (SGP) the GEF has made more than 20,000 grants totalling about US$1 billion to civil society and community-based organizations.
The GEF International Waters (IW) focal area targets transboundary water systems, such as shared river basins, lakes, groundwater and large marine ecosystems. The IW portfolio comprises 242 projects to date and some US$1.4 billion of GEF grants invested in 149 different countries. This investment has leveraged about US$8.4 billion in co-financing.
UNDP GEF Kura Project “Advancing Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) across the Kura river basin through implementation of the transboundary agreed actions and national plans” will be implementing the Strategic Action Program for the Kura River Basin in partnership with the Governments of Azerbaijan and Georgia. The SAP is framed around four agreed Ecosystem Quality Objectives (EQO) which are:
- To achieve sustainable utilization of water resources to ensure access to water and preserve ecosystem services;
- To achieve water quality such that it would ensure access to clean water for present and future generations and sustain ecosystem functions in the Kura river basin;
- To achieve and maintain ecosystem status whereby they provide essential environmental and socio-economic services in a sustainable manner in the Kura River Basin; and,
- To achieve mitigation of adverse impacts of flooding and climate change on infrastructures, riparian ecosystems and communities.
The GEF will support priority activities towards these objectives. The GEF funded SAP implementation Project has the objective “to integrate water resources management in the Kura river basin to address water-energy-food-ecosystem security nexus through the implementation of agreed actions in the SAP”.
There will be five components to support the countries to achieve this objective. These are:
- Project Component 1: Establishment of effective cross sectoral IWRM governance protocols at the local, national and transboundary levels in the Kura Basin;
- Project Component 2: Strengthening national capacities to implement multi-sectoral IWRM in the Kura basin;
- Project Component 3: Stress reduction in critical areas and pre-feasibility studies to identify investment opportunities for improving river system health;
- Project Component 4: Targeted education and involvement projects to empower stakeholders in implementing local / national / regional actions in support of SAP implementation;
- Project Component 5: Enhancing science for governance by strengthening monitoring, information management and data analysis systems for IWRM.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibility of this expert is to provide overall senior level input to the UNDP-GEF Kura II Project related to involvement of stakeholders in IWRM in Azerbaijan. The Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media expert will provide a series of inputs for public awareness raising regarding the project activities and outputs over the course of the year, as assigned and agreed, based on the growing expertise in integrated water management issues, as assigned by the Regional Communications Manager. The Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert inputs will be based on the weekly assessed needs of the project pertaining to integrated water management inputs needed. S/he will be will be responsible for professionally representing the UNDP-GEF Kura II Project in all interactions with the project team, project national and international experts, and project stakeholders. The services of a qualified and highly motivated Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert will be required to assist the Project Coordination Unit in developing the below-mentioned tasks.
Scope of Work:
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communications Manager, the consultant will assist UNDP-GEF Kura II project PCU in the following: (1) development and production of multimedia content in order to increase media reach & visibility effectiveness, (2) Assist in developing and maintaining close collaboration with organizations and individuals whose support is essential to promote IWRM issues, in particular national media. (3) Draft press releases and provide guidance to Junior experts in creating and updating social media accounts specific to the project work, and regularly contributing to the project web page.
The work of the Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert will vary based on the specific needs of the PCU over the scope of the year. The Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert will be assigned specific inputs, with specific deliverables as the needs arise, based on a weekly review of project progress, under the guidance and authorization of the Regional Communications Manager. All deliverables will include a clear number of days needed to complete the assignment, timeframe for completion, and guidelines pertaining to the deliverable quality and acceptability. These will be agreed with the Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert, upon acceptance of the assignment.
Key Deliverables and payments of the consultancy:
The deliverables will include:
- Proactively create editorial content (stories, photos, advocacy images, contests, campaigns, audio, video, infographics, etc.) in cooperation with Communication and Kura II Project Team, including national and international experts
- Adapt content for media pitching, web and social media, posting daily to respective channels;
- Develop and maintain web and social media calendar and content plans of content themes and all upcoming coverage schedules according to the calendar are maintained in coordination with the Project Regional Communications Manager
- Social media and general packs for flagship events, initiatives, campaigns prepared timely.
- Actively engage with online audiences through social media channels.
- Photos at Project-supported events are taken, as needed working with professional photographers and videographers
- Share content of Project’s country efforts to develop communication materials for dissemination through social and traditional media channels gathered and archived accordingly.
- Contributions to project outreach and communication efforts to build awareness of environmental communications and public affairs issues among stakeholders;
- Drafting press-releases about the meetings, training, academic conferences, demo projects and other Project events conducted by the project;
- Updating the social media accounts and website/blog of the project regularly, on a daily basis;
- Supervise the video transcription of the trainings conducted within the IWRM academy related to Environmental Communications and Public Affairs and prepare the Azerbaijani version of those trainings by using the training presentations and video transcriptions;
- Translation of project materials on communications and public affairs approaches from English into Azerbaijani and vis versa and providing critical inputs into the materials for use in future curriculum development under supervision of Project Regional Communications Manager;
- Additional tasks as appropriate and assigned under the authorization of the Project Regional Communication Manager.
Tasks and specific deliverables for the Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert will be assigned by the Project Regional Communications Manager on weekly basis with anticipated time inputs for each assignment to be discussed and agreed. These will be reflected in “assignment notes” kept by the Project Regional Communications Manager. Payments will be made monthly for approved task completion and accepted deliverables based on daily rate (or portion of daily rate) as per UNDP IRH Consultant Timesheet approved by the certifying officer. It is expected the work load will vary based on project needs and availability of the Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert.
Information on Working Arrangements:
The Azerbaijan Senior Communication and Digital Media Expert will report to the Project Regional Communications Manager. Deliverables will be reviewed and approved by the project team and ultimately by the CTA/RPC.
- Excellent communication and management skills and demonstrable capacity to work with a multi-national team and to work with government institutions;
- Demonstrated aptitude for communications and public affairs in Azerbaijan;
- Ability to take responsibility for data collection, and work with multiple water use sectors within Azerbaijan;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong research, analytical, reporting and writing abilities.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, marketing, social science, communication or a related field.
- Training in environmental or water management related fields a strong asset;
- At least 4 years of experience in journalism and/or writing features for the mass media is required;
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining social media accounts, especially Facebook, and Instagram as well as experience with new media executions, experience developing compelling content to generate response from audiences online is required;
- Experience to integrate PR/communication initiatives with social media is required;
- Experience with visual content development is required; knowledge and understanding of local and global digital landscape and trends is an asset;
- Experience with graphic design, ability to create designs for digital media purposes in open source graphic design programmes is required; experience in taking professional quality photographs and basic photo editing skills is a strong asset;
- Fluency in communicating and Technical Knowladge on Digital media is required
- Writing professionally in Azerbaijan and English languages is a requirement for this position, Fluency in communicating in Russian is an additional advantage.
Evaluation of Applicants
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal.
The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical P11/CV desk reviews and interviews and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Only candidates who will get min. 70% of points in desk review (criteria A-F) will be invited for an interview.
Only candidates who receive 70% or more of points in technical evaluation (Criteria A-H) will be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max. 70 points:
- Criteria A – Academic qualification / education – max points 10;
- Criteria B – Experience in journalism and/or writing features for the web – max points 10;
- Criteria C – Demonstrated experience in maintaining social media accounts, especially Facebook, and Instagram as well as experience with new media executions, experience developing compelling content to generate response from audiences online is required– max points 10;
- Criteria D – Experience to integrate PR/communication initiatives with social media – max points 5;
- Criteria E – Experience with visual content development is required; knowledge and understanding of local and global digital landscape and trends is an asset – max points 10;
- Criteria F – Experience with graphic design, ability to create designs for digital media purposes in open source graphic design programmes is required; experience in taking professional quality photographs and basic photo editing skills is a strong asset– max points 10;
- Criteria G - Communication and technical knowledge – Max points 10
- Criteria H - Language skills – max points 5
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max. 30 points.
The expected time frame for the Consultant to complete these activities is 13 months starting from approximately August 1st, 2019 with approximately 150 working days during this period.
Payments as timesheet and invoice on the following based on approval and timely completion of tasks assigned.
Any delay of deliverable must be approved by the CTA in writing.
Procedures for Applying
The application submission is a two-step process. Failing to comply with the submission process may result in disqualifying the applications.
Step 1: Interested candidates must include the following documents when submitting the applications (Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF attachment as the system only allows upload of one document):
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the assignment.
- Filled P11 form or CV including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from http://www.eurasia.undp.org/content/dam/rbec/docs/P11_modified_for_SCs_a...);
- Offeror’s Letter (blank template can be downloaded from https://bit.ly/2KO1okS).
Step 2: Submission of Financial Proposal - Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and requested to provide a financial offer.
Payments will be made only upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner.
Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.org
General Terms and conditions as well as other related documents can be found under: http://on.undp.org/t7fJs.
Qualified women and members of minorities are encouraged to apply.