Water and Sanitation Policy Expert
The project consists in the establishment and management of two support facilities delivering similar services to support EU international cooperation in the areas of 1) green economy and 2) water and sanitation.
The overall objective of the Water Facility is to support, in the framework of the SDG6 objectives, the New Consensus on Development and the EU Council Conclusions on Water Diplomacy, the targeted developing countries to improve their policy and regulatory framework conditions aiming at providing attractive and enabling conditions for increased public and private investment in IWRM, and in general access to Water and Sanitation.
The specific objectives of this contract are to provide assistance to partner countries (including to any relevant regional structures as appropriate) to:
- Increase their administrative and technical capacity for Water and Sanitation sector policy analysis, development and implementation, especially in relation to the interactions between SDG6 and the other SDGs;
- To accelerate and implement positively, efficiently and effectively their sector reform policies on IWRM, transboundary water cooperation and access to water and sanitation;
- To facilitate the access to finance and the implementation of investment projects for the development of the infrastructures needed to meet the SDG6 objectives.
The expert will provide outputs contributing the identification and formulation of actions falling under the Water component.
This expert will supervise, coordinate and contribute to the inputs of the water component, coordinating the other key and non-key experts. S/he will advise on the identification and implementation of activities. This will include, among others:
- Steering and managing the assignment as a whole, carrying out a major part of the day-to-day work, dispatching tasks to the other experts of the team;
- Preparation of specific studies and fulfilment of other tasks requested by DEVCO C2;
- Supervise the elaboration, production and quality control of the facility outputs;
- Ensure the timely preparation of the progress and annual reports.
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in economics, natural resources management, environmental science, civil engineering, development studies or related disciplines;
- Excellent knowledge of Water and Sanitation policies and technical best practices, in the EU and in developing countries;
- Excellent knowledge of Transboundary water management tools, UNECE Water Conventions
- Excellent knowledge of IRWM
- Knowledge of aid delivery methods and the project cycle management;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in English required; Knowledge of French and/or Spanish and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years of professional experience, including 5 years in the context of international cooperation and 5 years working on Water policy elaboration (relevant assignments may count for both the international cooperation experience requirement and the green economy experience requirement.
Specific professional experience
- Proven experience as Team leader on at least 3 assignments;
- Work experience in developing countries (in situ) of at least 2 years..
Clement Le Navenec,