Water Quality Specialist
This position primarily assists the BBP Program Scientist and/or other staff with maintaining the BBP’s water quality monitoring program (both field and laboratory components), but may include other project related tasks, such as field work, data entry, data compilation, and report preparation. This position is grant funded and continued employment is dependent on the annual renewal of the grant.
List of Essential Activities
1. Calibrates, maintains, and troubleshoots the BBP continuous monitoring data sondes, telemetry systems, and stations.
2. Oversees/is responsible for Quality Assurance and Quality Control of continuous monitoring data.
3. Calibrates, maintains, and troubleshoots the BBP’s handheld water quality meters.
4. Assists in the development and review of water quality monitoring program Quality Assurance Performance Plans (QAPPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs),
5. Maintains the BBP laboratory’s NJDEP-certification for water quality parameters of interest, including managing the quality control program, data, and records needed for laboratory certification.
6. Prepares reagents and standards for equipment calibration.
7. Maintains the laboratory stock (equipment and consumables) in good working order.
8. Prepares documents, reports, and presentations using required computer software and platforms.
9. Stays current in all OCC Right-to-Know policies, regulations, and safety-related procedures.
10. Related projects and duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in biology, chemistry, or a related discipline (e.g., environmental science, marine biology, natural resource management, etc.)
2. At least two years of experience in water quality monitoring, including the use and calibration of handheld and continuous water quality instruments.
3. At least one year of experience preparing reagents and/or standards for equipment calibration.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
5. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, social media, web applications and other technology necessary to carry out the duties of the position.
6. The ability to lift at least 30 pounds and willingness to work in strenuous and adverse field settings.
7. Valid N.J. Driver’s license in good standing.