Entry Level Geotechnical Engineer (Waterpower & Dams)
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world’s most impactful waterpower and dam projects—projects vital to both local and global communities.
We are currently looking to add a full time Civil / Geotechnical Engineer to the Waterpower and Dams Group into one of our two Pacific Northwest Offices (Bellevue, WA or Portland, OR). If working on the most challenging water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world’s top talent appeals to you, join us.
The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks for dams and hydroelectric projects, conveyance tunnels, and water resource projects for a variety of domestic and international clients. The successful candidate will be working in conjunction with other engineers and geologists on multi-discipline teams to support project activities through the application of engineering and geologic principles and techniques. The successful candidate should be able to work independently and with small and large teams to apply critical thinking skills to solve technical issues and develop project-specific solutions. The position will require travel to project sites and will provide stimulating career growth opportunities.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company guidelines for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Work in conjunction with engineers, geologists, and scientists to solve project challenges, performing design calculations as required.
- Assist with feasibility studies by conducting research to assess challenges and develop solutions.
- Conduct field inspections; observe and participate in field exploration and testing programs; and perform site characterizations and evaluate geotechnical hazards under the supervision of more senior engineers/geologists.
- Assist in the selection of criteria for planning, design, and construction of dams, tunnels, foundations, slopes, and earth-retaining structures.
- Assess subsurface conditions, including soil and rock properties and geomechanical conditions, including review and interpretation of field maps, field logs, test data, and other field documentation. Evaluate field and laboratory test data and develop parameters for use in technical analyses.
- Conduct numerical analysis using programs such as DIPS, UNWEDGE, SWEDGE, UDEC, Phase2, SEEP/W and SLOPE/W under the supervision of others.
- Prepare technical reports including geotechnical data reports, geotechnical baseline reports, field reports, technical memoranda, computation packages, feasibility reports, design and evaluation reports, construction drawings, and specifications.
- Provide field engineering support for projects during construction.
- Participate in professional development and training activities.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Willing and able to travel, both nationally and internationally, to conduct field investigation or construction quality oversight type work
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis, and computer aided design drafting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Sound organizational, technical, written, and oral communication skills with attention to detail
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering from an accredited university is required, Master’s in Civil Engineering with a geotechnical focus or Geotechnical Engineering is preferred.
1 to 3 yrs work experience in geotechnical engineering, dams experience a plus.
EIT strongly desired, with a commitment to obtain registration as a Professional Engineer in both Oregon and Washington.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Portland
Other Locations: United States-Washington-Bellevue
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900022O