Uinta Basin Project Manager
ABOUT TROUT UNLIMITED
Trout Unlimited (TU) is a national organization with 300,000 members and supporters organized into over 400 chapters and councils nationwide. These dedicated grassroots volunteers are matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts, and scientists, who work out of more than 45 offices across the country. Our mission is to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s cold-water fisheries and their watersheds.
TU is seeking to hire a self-motivated and highly capable person to identify, prioritize, plan, and implement demand management and irrigation efficiency projects consistent with the goals of the Colorado River Program in the Uinta Basin. Additionally, it is anticipated that 50% of the position’s time will be spent working in conjunction with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources on native Colorado River cutthroat trout population restoration across the south slope of the Uinta mountain range. A significant focus will be placed on developing relationships with water users, managers and industry to identify projects where significant water savings can be developed through water use and delivery efficiency upgrades and other alternative methods, and then translating those water savings downstream into the Green and Colorado Rivers.
Emphasis will be placed on partnership building with TU chapters and grassroots leaders, land trusts, state and federal agencies, landowners, local watershed groups, tribes, and other non-profit organizations. In addition, the Project Manager will seek opportunities to reconnect and restore coldwater habitat in key areas with high recreational and conservation value. The Project Manager location will be in the Uinta Basin in the State of Utah.
Funding for this position has been secured for two years. We intend to extend this to a long-term position, dependent upon project successes and securing long-term funding. The successful applicant will be expected to seek out and obtain grant funding to support project work and core operational costs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage water users, industry and local municipalities to identify and prioritize water efficiency improvement projects in the Uinta Basin and the surrounding areas
- Plan and develop Colorado River cutthroat trout population restoration projects in conjunction with the Northeast Region office of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
- Work with local community members to continue developing community-based restoration along the Duchesne and Green River watersheds
- Work closely with state and federal agencies to collect field data for project development and monitoring
- Engage TU members to prioritize and implement projects and initiate planning efforts
- Initiate new partnerships and restoration projects with landowners and non-profit organizations in Utah
- Work independently and with TU staff on fundraising, including identifying potential funding sources, drafting grant proposals, and developing relationships with funders
- Supervise interns and/or seasonal field technicians
- Manage on-the-ground restoration projects and monitoring plans
- Perform basic administration duties including grant reporting, invoicing and tracking project budgets
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Professional experience in stream restoration project management
- Background and understanding of Utah agriculture
- Demonstrated performance in grant writing and other fundraising activities
- Experience in fisheries and water quality restoration
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work constructively and collaboratively with diverse partners and private landowners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required
- Previous experience with media and outreach
- Good organizational and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work independently while managing complex projects
- Willingness to travel within the region as necessary
- Passion for trout and salmon and the places they live
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest and resume to David Stillwell at . No phone calls please. Open until filled.
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Please fill out this voluntary form and submit it as an attachment to this email address.