Bangladesh nationals: Irrigation and Water Management Specialist
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
FAO will provide technical assistance to the Government of Bangladesh in the implementation Smallholder Agriculture Competitiveness Project, the overall aim of this project is to strengthen the capacity of implementing agencies to successfully implement the project and reach the expected results.
The implementing line agencies are Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI), Department of Agricultural Marketing (DAM) and Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC). DAE will be the lead agency under overall supervision of the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA).
Technical assistance and capacity building will be targeted at specific areas that will benefit from strengthening among government project implementation partners. TA activities will concentrate on: a) training of trainers’ activities and follow-up coaching, b) assisting the development of a benefit Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system and c) background studies.
The consultant will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh and in close collaboration with Assistant FAO Representative Programme and direct supervision of the project Senior Technical Advisor.
Tasks and responsibilities
Contribute to the development of the training manual for BADC staff involved in component 3.2, specifically on:
- Technical skill development with regard to low pressure high efficiency irrigation systems (such as drip irrigation), use of solar power and monsoon rainwater harvesting for use during rabi season.
- Environmental aspects of surface water management for crop production, salinity management, rainwater harvesting, water conservation, linkages to resilience and climate change effects.
- Co-facilitate the training of trainers of BADC field staff on above listed subjects.
- Liaise with the BADC on the implementation of project as direct by the technical advisor and assist them with technical advice whenever requested.
- Work with the CTA in the recruitment of short-term international consultants on water user groups and on water harvesting, especially with the development of their terms of reference and technical evaluation of candidates.
- Provide six-monthly progress reports on the irrigation related technical assistance activities to the CTA for incorporation in the project progress report.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agricultural Engineering, with specialization in irrigation and water resources development
- At least 10 years of work experience in agricultural related activities at farm/famers training level
- National of Bangladesh
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Hands-on experience and deep understanding of developing farmers training manuals in the agriculture sector
- Excellent communication skills including strong writing skills, proven ability to convey complex ideas through clear communication, and concise reports, and effective oral presentations.
- Working knowledge of English and Bengali
- Familiarity with the administrative and financial procedures of FAO would be an asset.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact:
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website:http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: