Design and Communications Officer
• Remuneration: 30k to 35k GBP depending on experience
• Hours per week: 37.5 (Monday to Friday)
• Contract: Permanent
• Location: Sutton, London
• Closing date for applications: 30 June 2019
The International Hydropower Association (IHA) is a non-profit membership organisation which works with its members and partners to build and share knowledge on hydropower’s role in renewable energy systems, responsible freshwater management and climate change solutions. Our membership includes more than 100 organisations as well as individual members who share our vision to deliver water and energy services to all in a sustainable way.
IHA is a champion of international good practices and continuous improvement in hydropower planning, development and operation. Our programmes increase awareness of hydropower’s role in the clean energy transition and promote collaborative approaches to river basin development. We monitor the hydropower sector, publish acclaimed publications and develop innovative tools and guides for practitioners and decision-makers.
Every two years, IHA organises the World Hydropower Congress, a high-level event that brings together leaders from government, industry, finance, United Nations agencies, academia and civil society to set priorities for the future of the hydropower sector.
As Design and Communications Officer, you will play a leading role in the production of IHA’s print and digital communications and support website and digital marketing activities.
Reporting to the Head of Communications, you will work closely with our Membership, Sustainability and Knowledge Building teams to deliver the organisation’s communications strategy.
- Leading the design, production and marketing of IHA’s printed and digital communications.
- Acting as IHA’s brand champion, leading the development of visually appealing and engaging graphic content for social media and publications, and working with suppliers.
- Providing support and guidance to IHA’s Sustainability and Knowledge Building teams to help communicate their activities and achievements.
- Managing content on a suite of websites including www.hydropower.org and www.hydrosustainability.org using Drupal and Wordpress content management systems.
- Designing and managing email marketing campaigns and sending out newsletters.
- Copywriting and editing content for websites and social media platforms including Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Developing and laying-out publications, including the flagship Hydropower Status Report, marketing materials and briefing documents.
- Producing display advertisements and infographics for external publications.
- Analysing and reporting the impact of IHA communications using Google Analytics and email data reports.
- Managing contacts data using Customer Relationship Management software.
- Providing ad hoc advice and support to users of Hydropower Pro, IHA’s online member community and mobile app.
- Working closely with external suppliers.
Essential skills and attributes:
- At least two years’ experience in a similar professional role.
- Demonstrable experience producing print and digital materials and designing visually appealing and consistently branded content.
- Excellent understanding of good practices in brand management and marketing.
- Proven experience in using website content management systems, in particular either Drupul or Wordpress.
- Experience using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Good copywriting and copyediting skills, with the ability to write for web audiences.
- Experience managing social media platforms including LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Ability to adapt to a busy environment, managing and prioritising competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, but able to work independently and perform under pressure.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
Desirable skills and attributes:
- A qualification in the visual arts.
- Experience working in water, energy, environmental, sustainability or international development sectors.
- Experience working in a membership body or an international organisation.
- Willingness to travel internationally on occasion if required.
- Experience in managing projects.
- Experience of using video editing software.
- Additional languages.
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter explaining how their experience, skills and attributes align with the role. The letter should also confirm your eligibility to work in the UK and your willingness to travel internationally if required. These documents should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following text in the subject of the email: ‘IHA Design and Communications Officer application’.