Community Engagement Officer
WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 884 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who still do not have clean water close to home. With your help, we can end the water crisis.
WaterAid America's New York office is seeking an energetic Community Engagement Officer to create an exceptional supporter experience for community fundraisers & supporters of WaterAid's work.
As part of the Marketing and Engagement Team, the Officer will generate and grow a significant stream of annual unrestricted revenue by developing and implementing compelling fundraising programs and supporter journeys and engage supporters through social media, digital, in-person events, digital and direct mail campaigns to support the team in achieving its Goals as outlined in WaterAid's Business Plan.
To be successful, the Officer will possess a strong work ethic and sound judgement, and will be a creative problem-solver, excellent communicator, and bring an appetite to learn. The Officer is expected to take ownership of their work and have high personal expectations. Evening and/or weekend work (<10%) may be required.
This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring community organizer or fundraiser to tap into the international development sector while working on one of the world's most urgent - and solvable - crises.
Specific duties & responsibilities include:
- Manage relationships with community-based companies, schools, community (peer to peer) fundraisers, students and vendors;
- Identify opportunities and pilot initiatives to engage new supporters, promote WaterAid around key global 'days', and develop and implement recruitment strategies;
- Represent WaterAid at community events; prepare and deliver presentations and coordinate collateral;
- Develop parameters and implement a system to track and retain community supporter information in the database and funnel donors into appropriate cultivation tracks;
- Manage activity-level budgets for community engagement, coordinate payments to vendors, report ROI;
- Manage and grow the Choose a Challenge program, recruiting more participants and engaging with more universities
To be successful, you'll need:
- Undergraduate degree and/or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 3 years' experience in non-profit fundraising;
- Comfortable with public speaking and presenting to stakeholders (PowerPoint, Prezi);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Sharp attention to detail and superb organizational skills;
- Creative problem-solving skills, resilience and adaptability;
- Ability to manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously;
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in working with donor data;
- Professional demeanor in communicating on behalf of and representing WaterAid;
- Flexible in working as part of a diverse team while leading on specific tasks/ responsibilities;
- Commitment to WaterAid's values and a working style that reflects these;
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
We are particularly interested in candidates possessing:
- Experience using Raiser's Edge;
- Proficiency in a foreign language (Spanish, French, etc.);
- Familiarity with the international development sector.
We're looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We're looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
WaterAid offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other insurances; paid-time off; and 403(b) retirement.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to , using Engagement Officer as the subject of the email.
Deadline: 30 June 2019
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the US.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.