The Climate Risk Institute is actively seeking climate change adaptation professionals looking to build their career profile. With a diversity of projects within its portfolio, we are accepting applications for a climate change adaptation specialist. The contract will be one year in length with extensions contingent upon funding. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience. Your physical work location is flexible but must be in Ontario.
The Climate Change Adaptation Specialist will provide climate change adaptation project support to managers for a variety of initiatives in areas such as communication, engagement, planning, vulnerability/risk assessment and implementation.
- Provide support for ongoing projects on climate change impacts and adaptation;
- Design and carry out research projects, including literature reviews;
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of quality reports, publications, and new resources material, including reports, literature reviews, case studies, workshop reports, communication plans, policy briefs, etc., to aid in climate change adaptation awareness in Ontario;
- Organize and facilitate events including stakeholder meetings, workshops, symposia and conferences for a variety of audiences;
- Contribute to writing of proposals and grant applications;
- Prepare and deliver presentations to stakeholders in Ontario, and assist in the preparation of presentations for other team members;
- Encourage and develop collaborative relationships with other stakeholders in Ontario and Canada;
- Build and maintain high levels of knowledge on local, national, and global issues pertaining to climate change adaptation;
- Contribute ideas for new adaptation initiatives and
Required Education and Experience
- Post graduate degree in Climate Change Studies, Environmental Studies, or a related field
- 2-5 years of relevant experience
- High level of knowledge of climate change impacts and adaptation;
- Experience in supporting project implementation;
- Experience in writing proposals and grant applications;
- Experience in preparing reports and presentations;
- Ability to synthesize information and data, from a variety of sources, in a clear and concise manner;
- Proven project and time-management, organization/prioritization skills to meet deadlines;
- Superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Willingness to be flexible, and the ability to adapt to changing responsibilities while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Extensive experience with Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail applications; and,
- Ability to travel.
Deadline for application: June 30, 2019
Candidates must send a resume and cover letter, with cover letter clearly demonstrating how they meet the education and experience, and qualifications of the position. Candidates must meet all qualifications to be considered for the position.
Please quote “Climate Change Adaptation Specialist” in the subject heading. Although we appreciate all candidates’ interest in this position, only those selected will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- relevant: 2 years (Required)
- climate change environmental: 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Ottawa, ON (Preferred)