The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
LCV is hiring a Communications Associate to serve as a key member of the communications team, which focuses on media relations and external communications. The Communications Associate will be responsible for drafting and distributing communications content, including press releases, blog posts, fact sheets and weekly tipsheets; fielding incoming media inquiries; assisting in executing media events, rapid response, and storytelling; as well as tracking media coverage and handling the administrative needs of the Communications department.
- Support all functions of the Communications department, including administrative tasks, written and video products, and media relations.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, talking points, blogs and other communications materials, including a weekly tipsheet.
- Monitor media and distributes daily LCV press clips, including stories about LCV and our state partners.
- Field incoming media inquiries, manage press lists and develop reporter relationships.
- Support media activities on priority issue advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Assist in the production process of print, electronic and multimedia materials.
- Participate actively in applying a racial justice lens to of all LCV communications, including weekly tip sheets, press releases or statements and blog posts.
- Build and maintain systems for tracking and presenting communications metrics.
- Manage subscriptions and vendor relationships for the Communications department.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Work Experience: 1 year experience in external communications, media relations or journalism, preferably in a campaign, government or advocacy setting (internship experience acceptable). Experience with web or graphic design tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and WordPress desirable, but not mandatory.
- Skills: Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to thrive in a collaborative, team-centered environment; ability to prioritize and effectively manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment; desire to take initiative; strong organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial justice and equity in our movement and organization, integrating these principles into all of the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Interest in environmental and/or political advocacy.
- Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line by July 3, 2019. No phone calls please.