Associate Environmental Scientist or Environmental Scientist
The San Francisco Estuary Institute (SFEI) seeks an environmental scientist or engineer to join an interdisciplinary team investigating nutrient biogeochemistry and ecosystem responses in San Francisco Bay. This work will be carried out in support of the San Francisco Bay Nutrient Management Strategy (see http://sfbaynutrients.sfei.org/ Reports and Work Products), a multi-year science program studying the impacts of nutrient loads to San Francisco Bay and evaluating potential management actions. This is a full-time position for a researcher with a master’s degree or PhD in environmental science, environmental engineering, biological/chemical oceanography, or physical oceanography.
- Master’s degree plus 2 years of experience or PhD in environmental science, environmental engineering, biological/chemical oceanography, physical oceanography, or another related scientific field.
- Excellent data analysis, data visualization and data management skills using statistical software (e.g. Python, R, Matlab).
- Proficiency in statistical methods especially with respect to analyzing large data sets or high frequency time series data.
- Experience with environmental chemistry or environmental science, including field work and report writing.
- Understanding of marine/estuarine biogeochemistry, ecology, or chemistry would be advantageous.
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills and ability to synthesize information.
- Experience with technical project management, organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in teams as well work independently with general direction from senior scientific staff.
- Ability to contribute to, or lead, aspects of field work that may periodically involve working unusual hours (e.g., late nights, early mornings, and weekends) and carrying 40 pound field equipment for short durations.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
The duties are diverse and require an enthusiastic team-oriented employee. Typical duties will include:
- Analyze datasets using statistical software and open source code (e.g., Python, R suite)
- Identify, compile, and organize field and laboratory data and information from studies within and outside of SFEI.
- Write technical reports, journal articles, memoranda, proposals, and internal reports.
- Manage & participate in various types of field work using standard techniques and manage all technical aspects of field work including instrument calibration and maintenance.
- Manage projects involving internal staff and external partners.
- Conduct verification/validation (QA/QC) of data.
- Develop posters and presentations for public meetings and scientific conferences.
SFEI is committed to building a culturally diverse staff, and we strongly encourage applications from women, people of color and other groups commonly under-represented in environmental science.
San Francisco Estuary Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Linda Russio at 510-746-7355 or
The Associate Environmental Scientist/Environmental Scientist will be encouraged to acquire the education, supervisory skills and increased capacity for independent research and project development required to advance along the Science track at SFEI. Opportunities for advancing from Associate Environmental Scientist or Environmental Scientist will be available, and successful execution of the types of work listed below will contribute to advancement potential.
The Institute offers a generous benefit package (http://sfei.org/jobs/#benefits).
To apply, fill out the application form here (https://forms.gle/vNaTfYG3pA9YQyjK7). Please do not use any 3rd party web sites to apply for the position. No phone calls please.
Please note that SFEI cannot sponsor an employment visa (e.g. H-1B) to fill this position.
For more information on our mission, values, programs, and staff, visit the San Francisco Estuary Institute web site www.sfei.org.
Position open until filled.