Senior Research Analyst (Climate Finance, Climate Resilience Practice)
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI India is seeking a Senior Research Associate (SRA) to join the Climate Resilience Practice (CRP) team in India. The SRA will support the vision of CRP to help governments, civil society, and the private sector to reduce the vulnerable of people to the impacts of climate change.
WRI’s CRP team engages in a diverse body of work. The current projects build on a foundation of almost 10 years of work on climate change adaptation. CRP has developed path-setting knowledge products to assess national institutional capacity and support civil society to enhance resilience efforts at the scale required.
This position is a unique opportunity for those wishing to be at the forefront of cutting-edge research and action on the financing of climate change adaptation and resilience in India. The SRA will be an expert in climate finance and will help build the capacity of Indian institutions to assess their financial needs, and access and deploy finance to reduce climate vulnerability. The SRA will join a team of highly motivated individuals at CRP and the WRI Sustainable Finance Centre and work closely with a variety of stakeholders to encourage improvement in the quality and quantity of financial resources aimed at enhancing climate resilience in India.
The SRA’s areas of responsibility will include the following:
- Undertake rigorous qualitative and quantitative analysis of the current state of subnational level finance for climate change adaptation in India
- Work directly with subnational governments in key states (potentially including Bihar, Tamil Nadu and/or Sikkim) to create state-level plans to access and manage finance for climate change adaptation
- Design and implement training modules on accessing climate finance for subnational actors in India
- Support the development of sub-national project proposals to the multilateral climate funds and similar sources of climate finance
- Undertake research on tapping the market potential for resilience bonds in India and/or similar research topics
- Interact with policy makers, financial institutions, and other key stakeholders on a regular basis to conduct joint analysis and communicate research findings
- Work effectively with both the CRP team in India and the Sustainable Finance team in Washington D.C.
- Support coordination of project-related meetings, workshops, conferences and similar activities
- Provide support to other CRP projects as and when required
- Assist in the planning, budgeting and monitoring of the project activities
- Master’s Degree in Finance/ Business/Economics or related field
- Minimum 5 years of relevant fulltime work experience
- Understanding of climate-related financial mechanisms such as green bonds, project finance etc.
- Knowledge of national and international climate finance (e.g. the Green Climate Fund and/or the Climate Investment Funds)
- Familiarity with climate change adaptation and resilience
- Prior experience interacting with governmental agencies and sectors, and networking with other key stakeholders such as investors, companies or donors
- Willingness to travel for work to different states in India on a regular basis and on short notice
- Ability to work independently and shoulder responsibility
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind with a passion for environmental issues
- Fluency in English and preferably Hindi
- Experience developing project concept notes/proposals for the Green Climate Fund, Adaptation Fund or similar sources of climate finance
- Understanding of India’s relevant climate policies and plans (SAPCC, NAPCC, NDC, NAP)
- Experience with financial analysis for development projects and/or the development of project term sheets or similar documentation
Salary and Benefits
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi / Mumbai, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.