Assistant Program Officer in Division of International Liaison
Assistant Programme Officer – for “China-Mexico Small Hydropower and Renewable Energy Cooperation Project”
About International Center on Small Hydro Power
International Center on Small Hydro Power (ICSHP) is a public and non-profit institution directly under auspices of United Nations Industrial and Development Organization (UNIDO), China’s Ministry of Water Resources and Ministry of Commerce. ICSHP serves as the headquarters of the International Network on Small Hydro Power (INSHP), which is an international organization with more than 400 members from over 80 countries.
China-Mexico bilateral Cooperation in Small Hydropower and Renewable Energy Sector
Small hydropower plays an important role in electricity supply, poverty alleviation, environmental protection, and promotion of rural economic and social development. China has over 100 years experience of hydropower development as well as significant progress in small hydropower development, which sets a good example to other developing countries for clean energy demands. Mexico has a huge potential of hydropower resources and based on its revolution of electricity policy and transition of energy structure the government has strengthen its resolution in renewable energy and green hydropower development in the next decades. In this context, the bilateral cooperation in Small Hydropower and renewable energy was initiated by ICSHP and its counterpart in Mexico, and it has gained a very strong support from each government.
ICSHP is currently carrying out the “China-Mexico Small Hydropower and Renewable Energy Cooperation Project”, a bilateral international cooperation project supported by Chinese and Mexican government. The Project purpose is to promote the full development of hydropower and other related promising renewable energy sectors in Mexico and stimulate other countries in Latin America by means of the scientific and technological research and technology transfer between ICSHP and its counterpart in Mexico.
There is the opportunity for self-motivated players to join the project working team of ICSHP and its counterpart and to support the ongoing research and promotion activities to be held in the two countries.
Tasks may include
- Translating contributions from Spanish into English/or Chinese, as well as some editing
- Assistance at project coordination
- Editing/ proofreading reports and documents.
- Preparing drafts of documents: concept notes, project proposals, background information, etc.
- Contributing to maintaining ICSHP official website by writing and editing articles, gathering information related to small hydropower, etc.
- Maintaining contact with potential partners and network members
- Assisting at organizing of various sort of events, such as conferences, seminars, capacity-building trainings, etc.
- Other tasks as requested by supervisors
Qualifications and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) with a minimum of one year work experience in any of the following areas: Hydropower, Environment, Renewable, Engineering, Economics, International Relations, interpretation.
- Native Spanish and fluent English speaker, preferably with a working knowledge of Chinese
- Good networking skills
- Excellent editing, translation and proof-reading
- Sound computer skills, especially MS Office
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time
- Excellent communication skills to maintain relations with network members or other international institutions
Salary and Visa Information
The role here is classified as ‘voluntary’. Applications will therefore have to apply for the “F” type Visa generally. Here at the ICSHP, whilst we cannot influence the outcome of any visa decision, we do provide administrative support for your application.
The successful candidate will be provided, in return for full time hours (8.30-16.30 Monday to Friday) the following:
- Free and secure accommodation at the center with cooking facilities
- One free meal Monday to Friday
- Basic pocket money to meet additional needs (3,500 RMB/month)
It is important that given the voluntary nature of the position that any applicants have the necessary finance to purchase the flight and obtain the “F” visa as the center does not reimburse these costs.
Length of contract is for 6 months initially (with the option to extend).
Preferred starting date: as soon as possible, latest June/July 2019
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their CV along with a cover letter via email to Ms. Dan (Eliza) Yao - firstname.lastname@example.org and Mr. Andres Marin - email@example.com. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview/written examination.