Associate Research Fellow
The Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment at Deakin University places great emphasis on excellence in its teaching and learning, research and research training, community engagement, and staff empowerment. We pride ourselves on our national and international activities and the partnerships we have formed with industry, community, government, and the professions.
The Research Fellow will initiate and conduct research in ecosystem risk assessment, management and conservation. S/he will undertake risk assessments of Australian ecosystems, building on the IUCN Red List of Ecosystems protocol, and undertake scenario analyses to inform the sustainable management of ecosystem services and climate adaptation strategies, with a focus on alpine and sub-alpine ecosystems.
This is a full-time, 3 year fixed-term position based at the Melbourne Burwood campus and classified at Research Fellow Grade 1 (Level A) with salary in the range of $86,479 p.a + 17% superannuation.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- a PhD (or nearing completion) in, preferably in ecology, conservation or environmental sciences
- demonstrated skills in the coordination of data collation, processing, handling and analysis
- experience with quantitative techniques, such as statistical or process modelling of ecosystems and/or species, in programming languages such as R or Python.
- spatial modelling skills, in R, ArcGIS, Google Earth Engine or QGIS
- demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- experience in alpine ecology, risk assessment, and/or climate change projections
- distribution modelling or mechanistic modelling of species and/or ecosystems (e.g. process-based ecosystem modelling, population modelling)
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to your specific area of research, scholarship or creative activity including on research projects and collaborations to create new insights and opportunities
- establish or further develop a reputation in research and scholarship through publication or exhibition in highly ranked outlets
- supervision or examination of Honours students, or making a contribution to the supervision, management and timely completion of HDR students
- contributing to the successful application of scholarly and research expertise to innovation and invention with appropriate involvement in the commercialisation of outcomes
Deakin University is proud to be recognised as an organisation that offers a friendly, supportive and challenging working environment. Our staff are committed to making a genuine difference to people’s lives through excellence in education and research.
We acknowledge the importance of providing a dynamic and diverse working environment and offer variety in day-to-day roles as well as professional development opportunities to assist staff to grow and progress their careers.
Deakin University staff have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from a diverse range of cultures and professional backgrounds, all of whom share a common interest in lifelong learning.
We value our staff and understand that they are more than just their jobs, that's why we offer benefits that enhance work life. Some of Deakin’s workplace benefits include:
- 17% superannuation
- flexible work arrangements
- discounts with third party suppliers for health insurance, car rentals IT and more
The flexible learning options we provide our students and our diverse team of professionals and academic experts has enabled us to achieve a 5-star rating by the prestigious university ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds. For eight consecutive years, we've achieved the highest level of overall student satisfaction among Victorian universities.
We have a network of campuses, learning centres and research centres across Victoria and corporate offices in Melbourne, China, Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. Our online Cloud campus provides more than 13,000 students with access to state-of-the-art digital tools and direct access to world-renowned academics.
As a Victorian university with a global impact, Deakin is translating its research into commercial outcomes that will help drive innovation for Australia’s economy.
Applications close on Sunday 19th May 2019. When applying, please include a cover letter, resume and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.