International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of
Wash Assistant to be based in Damboa.
Position: Nigerian nationals only
Under the supervision of WASH Officer, the WASH assistant will be responsible to participate in hygiene campaigns, to participate in house to house hygiene promotion, and to prepare written material for the field, elaborate clear and adapted message for beneficiaries, as well as oversee the hygiene promotion and other WASH activities conducted by the community volunteers.
The WASH Assistants will be responsible for:
- Selection and training of the hygiene promoters (VCM).
- Collection of bio data for both VCMs and beneficiaries in communities.
- Input beneficiaries’ data into spread sheet in preparation for distribution of NFI kits in communities.
- Train and monitor VCMs on how to conduct hygiene promotion sessions and fill their log sheets properly document topics discussed, advice provided, document issues of concern for IMC follow up action, number of attendees to sessions, etc…
- Collection of VCM log sheet on monthly basis and certifying work done by VCMs.
- Identification of the most appropriate messages regarding the target population.
- Organize training sessions and participate in facilitation in IDP camps and host communities.
- Evaluate the necessary material needed for a campaign/activity.
- Mobilize the community on change behavior regarding hygiene practices.
- Participate in hygiene campaigns, doing shows in schools and at community level and IDP camps in close coordination with community volunteers
- Actively participate alongside community volunteers in identifying locations/sites for WASH infrastructures (latrines construction/rehabilitation, borehole drilling/rehabilitation, etc…) in the beneficiary communities.
- Animate focus group, giving clear messages on good hygiene practice.
- Report the progress of the work to the supervisor and the Head of project
- Report possible problems or conflict during the activities or any other issues that requires IMC follow up/ action
- Conduct House hold assessments.
- Conduct the Distribution of water, hygiene and sanitation items.
- Collection of water sample from household and source and also conduct quality tests using the del aqua KIT
- Write daily reports on VCMs evaluation, water testing and NFI distribution.
- Relating closely with VCMs to identify informal settlements in host communities.
- Relate with M & E in providing accurate raw data for impact analysis during post distribution survey and also to make input into monthly and quarterly reports
- Regular reporting of Hygiene Promotion activities to supervisor/ WASH Officer
- Provide support to other areas of the department as may be required by the supervisor.
- Bsc or HND in social sciences, sciences or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least one (1) year experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or community development experience.
- Demonstrated skill in capacity building at community level.
- Experience in hygiene promotion, water quality monitoring, & community mobilization.
- Communicate well in Hausa & Kanuri is an added advantage.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
HOW TO APPLY:
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps via the email:
Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
Deadline for submission is March 26, 2019