Specialist (Sanitation-Policy Solutions)
GGGI's global portfolio includes programs and projects focused on the thematic areas of water, green cities, energy, and land-use. GGGI recognizes that Water and Sanitation has significant implications on green growth in developing countries and is key to all economic activities and equally affects households and industries alike.
In this regard, the position will work in close consultation with the Global Sector Lead on Water and Sanitation, to deliver on Sanitation-related projects in the GGGI portfolio by adapting best practice concepts around Sanitation.
The position will also be expected to originate, develop, refine, revise/adapt, and conceptualize GGGI's Water and Sanitation related service offerings, review projects, pricing models and practices, best practices and experiences, conduct assessments as required, and persuade others within and without the organization to organize and plan for future development of GGGI's Sanitation portfolio.
- This role requires significant collaboration with and persuasion of internal and external stakeholders and organizations in development of the Sanitation portfolio.
- The position will work in the Water and Sanitation sector to assess, align, and develop policies conducive to moving on-the-ground projects towards their eventual accessing of finance, the financial/investment aspects of which will be carried out by other teams.
- The position will be expected to secure, through a combination of collaboration and persuasion, the buy-in and active involvement of governments, international organizations, and relevant private sector firms in order to contribute towards knowledge development and expansion of GGGI's Sanitation portfolio.
- Adapt GGGI's service offerings in line with the needs of partner governments
- Deliver projects that GGGI is engaged in by managing the project cycle from start to finish
- In close collaboration with the Global Sector Lead on Water and Sanitation manage assessments of business models,market assessments in countries, policies, regulations, institutional framework, etc.
- Identify new market opportunities, tap new financial resources and assist in guiding GGGI country teams/stakeholders on potential Sanitation programs by adapting GGGI project cycle procedures to new projects
- Identify areas for improvement in the project cycle management, or in GGGI service offerings
- Write project plans and concept notes for new or existing projects
- Write insight briefs, project reports, status updates and maintain timelines and budgets
- Contribute to knowledge development at GGGI and develop networks within the Water and Sanitation sector
- Advanced university degree (Master's Degree or equivalent) in sanitary mechanical or civil engineering or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience in the field of urban sanitation and health in developing countries and emerging economies. Proven track record of working on projects in sanitation, covering the whole value chain from storage, collection and treatment. The expertise should cover technological aspects but should also cover knowledge on governance structures, business models, financial arrangements and social inclusion. Proven track record on engagements in policy reforms that create the right framework for sanitation activities
- Knowledge of the water sector more broadly, the trends, the specific challenges and the impediments
- Demonstrated international experience in Africa and Asia
- A broadly focused expert with a strong strategic focus to be able to support and guide country teams but also with a deep hands-on experience to know how sanitation projects, facilities & policies can be implemented successfully
- Ability to interact easily with people from other cultures and backgrounds
- Pro-active and flexible attitude, business minded and with an strong entrepreneurial spirit to look for new applications and directions in sanitation and able to capitalize on new business opportunities and financing possibilities
- Proven affinity with GGGIs mission statement and objectives on green growth and social inclusion.
- Good reporting skills and fluency in English and preferably French.
The sanitation expert is expected to start in mid or end of March 2019.