UK nationals: Senior Diplomacy Manager (Adaptation and Innovation)
As part of the Governance & Partnerships team, the Senior Manager - Adaptation Diplomacy will work closely with the Programme Director, City Diplomacy and lead on C40 engagement in the global discussions relevant to adaptation to climate change, urban resilience, and research & innovation, with the purpose to enhance the leadership of C40 cities in those areas, as well as influence global, national and local policies and markets to deliver a climate-safe world.
- Efficient Project management and implementation in coordination with partners and stakeholders, including budget management, communications and reporting to funder(s).
- Develop and drive C40’s adaptation diplomacy strategy.
- Lead Adaptation Diplomacy advocacy efforts and campaigns, including engaging key stakeholders such as the UNFCCC, UN Habitat, UNISDR, the World Bank and others.
- Lead on C40 engagement in the global discussions relevant to adaptation, to climate change and urban resilience, as well as influence global, national and local policies and markets to deliver a climate-safe world. This includes, but is not limited to, engaging with UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement, the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda (SDG Review Process), the Sendai Framework For Disaster Risk Reduction, the New Urban Agenda, the G20 processes and the Global Commission on Adaptation, in close collaboration with C40 City Diplomacy team.
- Work closely with various international stakeholders, including the Medellin Collaboration on Urban Resilience, the Nairobi Working Programme and Cities Alliance’s JWP on Resilience, to develop other useful partnerships to deliver meaningful adaption diplomacy projects or campaigns.
- Support the Deputy Executive Director and the Programme Director, City Diplomacy in developing external partnerships in the adaptation field. This is to ensure that C40’s adaptation work is aligned with other global players and that collectively we maximize the synergy of our respective organisations.
- Actively engage in thought leadership globally on the topic of adaptation to help bring visibility, awareness and understanding on urban adaptation.
- Work with the Adaptation Team to support delivery of the other projects and priorities of the Adaptation Programme.
- Work with the City Diplomacy Team to support delivery of the other projects and priorities of the City Diplomacy Programme, such as G20/U20, UNSG Climate Summit, C40 Summit and SDG review process.
- Deliver on key strategic priorities and regional expansion of the Innovate4Cities agenda.
- Serve as the primary liaison for Innovate4Cities and leverages the capabilities of key partners to deliver the agenda.
- Lead all planning and logistics around for Innovate4Cities convenings. Plan, organise, and execute all convenings, utilizing significant project management and event planning expertise.
- Must have significant experience in international high level decision-making processes such as UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement, the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda (SDG Review Process), the Sendai Framework For Disaster Risk Reduction, the New Urban Agenda, the G20, IPCC and the broader research & innovation agenda – hosting/presenting/moderating sessions; convening of high level bilateral and multilateral meetings; working/supporting VIPs.
- Significant experience in corporate, city government, or non-profit environmental research and consulting.
- Appropriate degree qualification (masters degree preferable) in sustainability, environmental studies, international relations, public policy and/or political science.
- Strong problem‐solving, interpersonal and strategic thinking capabilities coupled with an outcome, delivery‐orientated approach.
- Must have experience in global campaigning, political and diplomatic advocacy.
- Must have a strong experience in project management, planning, organizing and delivering high level convenings and events. This includes relationship management with partners, funders and other relevant stakeholders.
- Proven track record in working collaboratively and effectively with major global partners, such as NGOs, the corporate sector, multilateral development banks, UN agencies and global coalitions, including acting as point of contact for high level partners.
- Must have significant experience of having lived and worked in the Global South for an extended period.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, possessing a great degree of comfort and experience in public speaking, press/VIP relations, negotiation and dialogue.
- Strong English language skills required, as well as fluency in Spanish, Portuguese and French.