Interns in Climate Data Analysis and Modelling
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations and cross-disciplinary research and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for Interns who will have the opportunity to gain hands-on working experience through contributing to the activities of the Atmosphere and Climate Division (ACD) of Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC). More specifically, the Interns will utilise available climate data from observations and model output in order to statistically analyse and visualise temperature evolution and extremes at a global and regional scale, with a focus in the Middle East/North Africa (MENA) and the Eastern Mediterranean, including Cyprus.
The Internships will be on a full-time basis for a fixed term of 6 months
The Interns will contribute to the ACD’s regional climate change research by:
- Collecting observational data of temperature and other climate variables from ground station measurements and other datasets
- Extracting climate gridded data from global and regional climate model output
- Statistically analysing and graphically depicting climatic temporal and spatial variations in the MENA region
- Bachelor degree in Physical Sciences
- Specialization in Atmospheric Sciences
- Experience in Statistical data analysis
- Experience in Visualisation of geophysical data
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and writing
- Familiarization to Linux operating system