Intern (Multiple positions)
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) was established in 1990 and mandated by name in United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181.The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and aims to accelerate the achievement of sustainable sanitation, hygiene and water services for all people, with special attention to the unserved poor, by enhancing collaboration and coordination of all sector stakeholders. The WSSCC Secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland. More information on WSSCC (also known as ‘the Council’) can be found on the website at www.wsscc.org. The Council is unique in having members from across the world. These individuals come from a diverse background and have considerable influence in the domain. Governance of the Council is through its Steering Committee.
WSSCC is recruiting for multiple internship positions and seeking highly motivated, dynamic and skilled interns who will have the opportunity to work with senior and experienced professionals and get exposed to learning and professional development.
For the duration of their internship, interns will be members of project/unit teams, participate in meetings, support specific exercises and provide assistance to meet business needs. Interns will work under the guidance of a Unit Head in one of the following thematic areas and/or units based their qualifications and performance during the assessment.
- Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM)
- Knowledge Management and Documentation
- Membership and database
- Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER)
- Operation and Finance
- Provide operational assistance to project/unit teams.
- Assist with drafting reports and conducting data analyses for reporting to management/unit.
- Assist with the creation, organization, classification and use of photo library and filing systems.
- Help ensure the effective capture, tracking and organization of information and sharing of information, also promoting business continuity.
- Carry out research and analysis to support project implementation or other business needs.
- Assist with the organisation of internal and external events and workshops.
- Participate at meetings and events, as required.
- Draft articles on key themes, emerging trends and achievements as appropriate.
- Provide inputs to concept notes and synthesize research findings as appropriate.
- Draft briefing notes, talking points, power point presentations and visual materials and assist with communication and dissemination.
- Perform other related duties as required by the supervisor.
UNOPS highly values interns’ contributions and realizes the importance of learning during an internship. UNOPS thus provides a wealth of opportunities for on-the-job training, studying project-related documents, data analysis and preparation of reports and statistics. UNOPS encourages the intern to raise specific wishes regarding learning opportunities before and during the internship.
- All applicants must be enrolled in a Master’s Degree or Ph. D. program (or equivalent); or have graduated from such studies and a Bachelors Degree within three (3) years prior to the application date of the internship.
- Area of study and interest should be preferably one of the following: Public Health, Business Administration, Development Studies, Economics, Finance, Social Sciences, Political Science, Communications/Journalism, Graphic design or related fields.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience but some international work experience and exposure is desirable.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite is essential, in particular Excel proficiency.
- Familiarity with managing web applications/databases, social media and other digital platforms is highly desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French will be highly desirable. Working knowledge of other UN languages would be considered an asset.