Kenya nationals: Senior Officer (Climate Change and Resilience)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 191 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC or “the Federation”) is the World’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The Federation is a membership organization established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Federation is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The overall aim of the IFRC is” to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” It works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The Federation is served by a Secretariat based in Geneva, with regional and country offices throughout the world. The Secretariat is led by the IFRC Secretary General and provides the central capacity of the International Federation to serve, connect, and represent National Societies. The Secretariat’s focus includes providing support to the IFRC governance mechanisms; setting norms and standards; providing guidance; ensuring consistency; coordination and accountability for performance; knowledge sharing; promoting collaboration within and respect for the RCRC Movement; and expanding engagement with partners. The Secretariat’s headquarters is organized in three main business groups: (i) Partnerships, including Movement and Membership; (ii) Programs and Operations; and (iii) Management. The Secretariat has five regional office, as follows: Americas (Panama City); Africa (Nairobi); Asia/Pacific (Kuala Lumpur); Europe (Budapest); Middle East and North Africa (Beirut)
To enhance the status of the Federation as a key player and partner in areas of DRR, Climate Change and Resilience in Africa region; and support the actualization of the Federation’s DRR, Climate Change and Resilience agenda in collaboration with National Societies’ in order to build and strengthen community resilience in the Africa Region. The role will also promote innovative approaches such as the eVCA, roadmap to Community Resilience, Forecast-based Action and Insurance, to effectively support the community resilience agenda across the Region.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the close supervision of the head of DCPRR for Africa provide dedicated technical advisory to the National Societies, Country and Regional Offices on the areas of climate change adaptation, DRR and Resilience
- Fully manage the Global Framework For Climate Services (GFCS), and represent the IFRC in the Global Project Steering Committee (GPSC) meetings/deliberations of the Project
- Use capacities to support Resilience programmes/Projects such as the Lake Chad Basin Initiative, Lake Victoria Programme, Zambezi River Basin Initiative, etc, and the regional DCPRR unit on other related activities that require specialized knowledge and skills related to DRR, climate change and resilience
- In collaboration with RC Climate Centre and relevant partner National Societies, lead in the roll out of forecast based financing mechanismIn collaboration with relevant partners and departments, support the development of Early Action Protocols (EAPs) for African NSs and support in the dissemination, and development of Forecast-based Action (FbA)
- Conduct periodic field missions to support, plan and undertake implementation of CCA/DRR activities under different appeal and project operations
- Facilitate the creation/improvement of National Societies Climate Change Adaptation (CCA policies and making sure they link to national/regional and global strategies, and linking these to compliment DRR strategies
- Identify and create awareness among NSs to and assist in building capacity for them to engage in National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) with their respective governments in matters of climate change.
- Support the development and dissemination of institutional policies for DRR, Climate Change and Resilience
- Based on ANSs priorities, coordinate the integration of DRR interventions into IFRC Emergency Appeals and support their implementation
- Maintain liaison with region/sub-regional scientific and operational organizations such as UNISDR, UNEP, IGAD/ICPAC, SADC, ECOWAS, ACMAD, CILLS to build synergies in climate change adaptation/mitigation and DRR
- Coordinate with Movement Partners on the development of the Africa Resilience Framework
- Coordinate annual reporting on DRR across the Africa Region in collaboration with IFRC country and cluster offices and Movement Partners
- Coordinate African NSs participation in regional/global platforms for DRR/Climate Change e.g. the UNFCC’s CoPs, and the Regional and Global Platforms for DRR, etc.
- Organize and where necessary facilitate relevant trainings/workshops for NS in Africa such as the R2R, eVCA, Climate Change Adaptation, Contingency Planning, etc
- Utilize extensive technical and practical climate change and community engagement expertise and experience; bring to bear skills in capacity-building and in bringing about change through partnership and close accompaniment. Preferably will also apply an understanding and experience of integration of Climate and DRR.
- In collaboration with relevant clusters, support the implementation and roll out of the enhanced Vulnerability and Capacity Assessments (eVCA) and the IFRC Framework for Community Resilience (FCR), including the Roadmap to Community Resilience (R2R)
Program Development, Implementation and Monitoring
- Be responsible for giving input on climate related issues and follow up on actions emanating from CC trainings; oversee the development/ improvement of CCA policies at the national level, in consultation with cluster and Country Offices;
- Ensure Climate Change (CC) is incorporated into the IFRC Resilience Framework/Vulnerability Capacity Assessment being done by the National Societies;
- Facilitate communication with Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre in creating and/or acquiring expert input/data to address CC challenges within the Africa region.
- Monitor and evaluate the GFCS project implementation including keeping track of the budget and activities planned.
- Support implementation of Resilience programmes/Projects such as the Lake Chad Basin Initiative, Lake Victoria Programme, Zambezi River Basin Initiative, etc,
- Support regional resilience programs targeting vulnerable communities along the lake and river basins
- Support mapping of, outreach and design innovative approaches around risk transfer mechanisms/insurance with ANSs to strengthen community resilience
- Be responsible for strengthening the capacity to sustain initiatives incorporating Climate Change Adaptation;
- Improve the capacity for NSs to write fundable proposals with regards to climate change; Actively seek funding opportunities and engage in fundraising for plans and activities on CCA projects/programs in the region
- Be responsible for the strengthening and building of existing and new partnerships that benefit the initiatives of NSs to address CC and improve DRM; Creating Participatory Scenario Planning initiatives in countries together with the Meteorological departments and other relevant stakeholders
- Participate in stakeholder meetings to ensure collaboration and sharing of information with other players in the DRR and climate Change arena
- Develop/facilitate projects in DRR/climate change and facilitate documentation of lessons learned and achievements, and support in overcoming project challenges that prevent the achievement of quality community-level impact at scale
- Promote the adoption of innovative tools to for monitoring and evaluation to improve reporting and adoption of lessons learnt
- Contribute to sectoral and departmental monthly, quarterly and annual reports and updates
- Relevant University degree
- Proven ability to work with diverse stakeholders across many disciplines, to achieve societal impact and institutional and policy change
- Experience in working in a membership organization in roles that include member capacity development, the development of organizational policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of and experience with international climate related policy and financing mechanisms, and how these are translated to regional and national levels
- A background on meteorology/ climate change adaptation with demonstrated professional credibility in the sector.
Knowledge, skills and languages
- At least 5 years of relevant working experiences in the development sector including engagements and coordination experience with areas such as DRR, climate change adaptation/mitigation, food security, livelihood, disaster preparedness, health, Water and Sanitation and Shelter.
- Knowledge of organizational and management methodologies, techniques and interventions
- Outstanding networking, representational, communication skills. An ability to be proactive and persuasive.
- Appetite for learning, testing and applying innovative techniques for learning, training and policy influencing
- Demonstrated track record in innovating, contributing to a learning culture, sharing knowledge and new approaches to engaging partners.
- Energetic and enthusiastic individual, engaging, brokering and facilitating learning and dialogue among diverse groups.
- Professional credibility, able to work effectively at all levels across the organization
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic) is an added advantage
Competencies and values
- Strategic Orientation
- Empowering Others
- Building Alliances