Natural Resources Officer (Agronomy and Water Resources)
The Natural Resources Officer reports to the Subregional Coordinator for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen under functional guidance of the relevant technical divisions in headquarters to ensure corporate technical coherence and quality.
Agronomy and Water Resources
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of regional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with regional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
- Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc., to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/specialist/advice and expertise;
- Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO corporate strategy, in collaboration with the Business Development and Resource Mobilization Division (PRS)
- Coordinates, in collaboration with the Regional Programme Leader, relevant technical units and the members of SNG's multidisciplinary team, the identification and formulation of requests for external assistance by governments in the fields of water savings technologies, climate change and climate smart agriculture, crop production, particularly vegetables, dates and fruit, and other related areas;
- Organizes relevant reviews of state-of-the-art technology applicable to the climate in the countries covered by SNG and advises on needs, projects or the development, management and conservation of water resources and crop production with special emphasis on closed agricultural systems and hydroponics;
- Advises the Government of the United Arab Emirates on the implementation of the United Arab Emirates Food Diversification Policy and Implementation Strategy 2018-2030;
- Monitors plant production situations and prospects at the national, subregional and regional levels, advises Member Governments in identification, formulation, implementation and evaluation of programmes, emphasizing capacity building;
- Promotes, organizes and participates in studies and represents FAO/SNG in conferences/meetings/workshops related to the aforementioned fields and follow-up with the initiation of activities emanating from such studies;
- Performs other duties as required
Please see "To Apply" link for more information.