Tanzania nationals: Country Director
Application deadline is 28 February 2019.
Position Title: Country Director, Lifewater International in Tanzania
Location: Mwanza, Tanzania
Managers Position: Director of Programs at Lifewater HQ
Lifewater is a Christian water development organization dedicated to effectively serving vulnerable children and families by partnering with underserved communities to overcome water poverty. Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, we serve the least and last as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love for all people. Lifewater serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.
Result Statement: I am accountable for producing the following result:
Improving the quality of life for vulnerable children and families living in rural Tanzania through the world-class implementation, monitoring, and evaluating of Lifewater’s Vision of a Healthy Village (VHV) programs. I do this by effectively leading a team of staff and partner relationships, and regularly undertaking management/site visits to ensure consistent and quality outcomes.
Direct Reporting Positions:
- Program Managers
Key Year One Activities:
- With an entrepreneurial tenacity, launch field office #1, including purchase of all necessary assets and recruitment/hiring A-level field staff.
- Lead in contextualizing all HR manuals and procedures the first quarter of starting.
- Using Lifewater’s VHV model, design the first regional program in Tanzania, including developing and submitting government proposal/MOU within 4 months of starting.
- Develop strategic relationships with key stakeholders that will increase the success of Lifewater’s programming in Tanzania.
Regular Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Management (40%)
- Lead the Tanzania team with passion, conviction, and in an organized, data-driven and outcomes oriented manner.
- Nurture an operational environment that supports high performance, learning, and teamwork.
- Collaborate with other Lifewater countries to effectively share knowledge and strengthen Lifewater's service delivery.
- Mentor Program Managers in Lifewater’s core values and staff standards and ensure that they are mentoring the field staff whom they directly oversee.
- Manage the monthly activities of the Field Offices. This includes managing complex logistical movements of goods and people throughout Tanzania as needed.
- Recruit and retain field staff who have the heart and capacity to implement Lifewater’s ministry.
- Provide world-class oversight and quality assurance of program design and implementation of the field office activities in line with ops manual and national and global standards.
Program Operations (35%)
- Oversee the implementation and multiplication of Lifewater programs in strategic locations throughout country.
- Lead in program planning and design for new program cycles and new program launches.
- Establish relationships with church and mission networks in Tanzania and establish a ministry partnership which includes a written activity plan.
- Review and approve budgets and workplans with Program Managers and monitor internal cash flow between HQ and program offices to prevent program delays whenever possible.
- Oversee timely completion of key program activities including timely submission of electronic data forms.
Networking and Partnerships (15%)
- Represent Lifewater in-country as the face of Lifewater to government and other external stakeholders.
- Proactively develop relationships with District-level actors to strengthen systems for long-term buy-in and sustainability of the intervention.
- Regularly represent and participate in country-level WASH sector network meetings.
Compliance and Accountability (10%)
- Ensure proper registration and compliance with ongoing requirements for all relevant government agencies in Lifewater’s areas of operation within Tanzania.
- Ensure on-time submission of routine reporting including internal and government.
- Support development, implementation, and updating of HR and ops manuals, policies, and procedures.
- Assume financial responsibility, including safeguarding Lifewater assets and authorizing project expenses.
- Master’s degree in Business Management, Community Development, Public Health, WASH or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years senior level experience managing complex WASH or development programs of a similar scale with significant operations and financial management experience required.
- Experience managing donor-funded programs and thorough knowledge of applicable regulations and requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills; experience mentoring and supervising staff at all levels within the organization.
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills demonstrated by ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments, donors and international agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to represent organization in National and Regional-level forums.
- Excellent conceptualization, facilitation, and planning skills. Possess outstanding professional reputation and have strong demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skill. Excellent demonstrated cross-cultural communication and active listening skills.
- High level of proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, QuickBooks or similar accounting software; comfortable in a Windows PC environment.
- Fluency in English required.
- Committed Christian, active in a local church.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, and core values of Lifewater International.
- Develops a culture of excellence and accountability.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing environments.
- Honest and dependable in all areas including finances.
- Strong desire to work in and serve rural communities.
- ~50% of time spent in the rural program areas.