Head of Unit (Resources and Development)
Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable, prosperous future for all. Stockholm Environment Institute is a dynamic, expanding work place that employs around 90 people from 28 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen), and with an additional 140 employees in centres around the world.
We are now recruiting a Head of Unit at SEI Stockholm for the Resources and Development unit (RAD). The position presents an opportunity to join an internationally leading research institute and contribute to the management of a growing and dynamic research environment. The Head of Unit will manage a team of researchers and project managers and be part of the Executive Team. The position will also provide the opportunity to actively engage in externally funded research activities within the research field of the unit.
The work of the Resources and Development unit has a strong focus on natural resource management and innovation to support sustainability transitions and development, particularly in low-income and emerging economies. Methodological approaches span from quantitative modelling (e.g. of land-use and global commodity supply chains), systematic reviews and mappings, multi-stakeholder dialogue processes, assessments and appraisals, environmental and social field surveys, to the development of educational and knowledge-sharing networks.
Main purpose of position
- Provide overall and ongoing guidance to the unit’s employees, addressing all aspects of management and competence development
- Actively oversee implementation, reporting, monitoring and learning of projects and results
- Lead research and business development and contribute to a strong, visible and lasting project portfolio in line with the SEI Strategy
- Persistently balance compliance and innovation to deliver results with the highest quality
- Be an active member of the Executive Team, contributing to the strategic development of SEI
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership to enable strong research, engagement and project management delivery in the unit
- Stimulate and support unit employees in identifying, developing and implementing research projects in line with the SEI strategy
- Support effective internal and external outreach together with the Communications team and engage with policy makers and other target audiences
- Raise project funding from a variety of Swedish, European and international sources
Areas of accountability
- Act as the immediate manager of the employees in the unit, represent the employer in all matters, i.e. performance/development and salary dialogues, target setting, follow up, and full work-environment responsibilities, including ensuring a balanced workload for all unit employees
- Accountable for the professional development of the employees in the unit
- Responsible for resource planning and recruitments in collaboration with HR, the Executive Team, and other heads of unit
Who you are
The applicant should possess outstanding leadership, project management and research skills. The applicant should also have a proven ability to work with various stakeholders. The applicant should demonstrate an understanding of both development and environment issues in line with the SEI mission, and be able to conduct independent analysis and contribute to the innovative and high quality research environment at SEI.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- Masters or higher academic degree in relevant field
- Experience working in international, multi-disciplinary research teams
- Proven track record of effective people management
- Experience working at strategic levels of organizational development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, for both technical and public audiences
- Knowledge of Swedish and international funding structures and stakeholders is an advantage
Personal skills required in the position
- Outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills, and project management experience in a knowledge-based organization
- Strong interest and capacity to support colleagues in their professional development process, both as individuals and as a team
- Ability to act as a role model in the organization
- Proven ability to engage in knowledge production in partnership with stakeholders
- Ability to delegate effectively and follow up on actions and project delivery
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 27 January 2019, 23:59 Stockholm local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter (maximum 1 page).
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae.