China nationals: Programme Officer (Sanitation, Hygiene and Development)
For every child, dedication
UNICEF has a long history of cooperating with the Government of China (GOC) and advancing children's rights and meeting their water, sanitation hygiene, health, and nutrition, needs. Under its current country program, UNICEF supports the Government of China to ensure a safe and clean environment for the most vulnerable children in their homes, education and health care facilities. Our work supports the development, planning and implementation of the evidence based, effective interventions through an integrated community approach. In water and sanitation, this approach seeks to achieve total sanitation, which can be scaled up to benefit all children. UNICEF also establishes models that require integrated actions across sectors to accelerate results for children. By combining actions that improve infant and young child feeding, and establishing a safe and clean environment through better sanitation systems, UNICEF is establishing scalable models that address inequities across China. UNICEF seeks to use these evidences based actions share best practices, strengthen capacities of public and private sector practitioners and improve policies that have a positive impact on children's health and wellbeing.
How can you make a difference?
We are seeking a talented professional to lead our integrated Nutrition, Sanitation and Hygiene program in Qinghai. The position will lead, provide technical support to, and monitor the implementation of the Qinghai project in partnership with the Provincial Development and Reform Commission, provincial technical departments, institutes and partners responsible for the Qinghai Toilet Action as well as the Health Commission responsible for child health and nutrition.
Specifically, you will, often by frequently travelling to Qinghai especially the project counties:
- Lead the implementation of action, manage day to day interaction with provincial partners. Oversee the development of annual plans and closely monitor progress
- Manage local partnership including government, technical institutions, private sectors and likely local NGOs to conduct activities efficiently and effectively
- Drive the advocacy to promote the Theory of Change (TOC) for integrated planning and implementation of WASH and nutrition in the field
- Lead the implementation of social communication and advocacy for integrated WASH and nutrition for the development and survival of children
- Identify gaps and seek internal and external support for capacity development of relevant stakeholders
- Monitor implementation of designed activities of both sanitation and nutrition especially focusing on the integration
- Lead knowledge management of the project, including documentation of good practices
- Support the development and oversee the implementation of the monitoring and evaluation framework including baseline and end-line surveys, and other research activities related to the integrated nutrition and WASH project in Qinghai
- Develop high quality program reports for internal and external audiences
- Represent program at regular joint UNICEF and Qinghai government meetings, and give recommendations for next phase of implementation
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Advanced university degree in international development, public health, behavior change communication, civil engineering or public policy.
- At least two to five years of previous work experience in managing water, sanitation or public health programs. Experience with community-based nutrition and sanitation project is an asset (e.g. community based social mobilization for total sanitation or community communication for Infant and Young Child Feeding)
- Knowledge and understanding of child development theory, development issues and policies in China and internationally, such as child survival, growth in relation to water, sanitation and hygiene practices and health interventions and nutrition interventions, and policies
- Strong organizational skills to promote smooth project management
- Strong skills in designing research, data collection and analysis
- Fluency in English and Mandarin, both written and spoken
- Knowledge of inter-personal communication tools and practices and meeting presentation skills are an advantage
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Respect for and adherence to UNICEF's core values of Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity and proven understanding and sensitivity to cultural nuances
- Interpersonal skills, capacity to work with different personalities to deliver on shared results
- Drive for results, setting high standards for the quality of work
- Capacity to think outside of the box and drive innovation
- Effective communication skills, fluently and confidently gathering and expressing and writing opinions and information