The Qayyarah Airstrip Emergency Site is one the largest sites established during the Mosul emergency response, with a capacity of 10,000 displaced households. DRC has been the primary WASH partner since that date, will continue in both roles for the coming year. The Qayyarah Airstrip is expected to remain open for at least the coming year, and as such DRC intend to improve the cost efficiency of the water supply (40 liter/person) that is currently provided through internal water trucking.
This equates to an annual cost of over half a million dollars and up to 30 water trucks navigating the small roads within the camp at any one time, discharging water in to the tanks close to the community. The proximity of water has been essential in maintaining positive hygiene practices put in place by DRC’s complementary hygiene awareness program; however, the delivery modality has proved challenging.
In order to improve the delivery of the water service provided, DRC is looking for an experienced water distribution system engineer to evaluate the available design options for the construction of a basic water network that will serve the camp population (approximately 36’000 individuals), connecting the existing safe water supply point inside the camp, to the tanks close to the shelters.
Purposes, objectives and deliverables
To conduct a feasibility study to identify the best available options to build a basic water distribution system in Qayyarah Airstrip Camp, inclusive of large scale water storage and distribution network in to the existing small tanks and distribution points. During the first phase of the consultancy, the successful candidate will conduct an in depth assessment of the existing water supply system, and the water supply needs and available resources. Based on the outcome of the first phase, the consultant will develop a variety of solutions, agree with the Technical Team on the ground the most preferred solution. The final output of this consultancy will be the development of the Bills of Quantities, technical drawings and specifications and the work plan.
Duties, Responsibilities and Location
- The Consultant will be based in Erbil and will work in the Qayarrah Airstrip camp for field work
- The consultant will sign the code of ethics and will ensure full respect principles when approaching community members
- The consultant will sign DRC's 'confidentiality form'.
- The consultant will abide by DRC's Code of Conduct
- Review existing water distribution system, consult the team to analyze the needs of such a system
- Draft a list of potential solutions and draw up the merits and shortfalls of each feasible solution for agreement with the technical team
- Develop a simple yet technically sound design of the internal water distribution system, in line with the available budget, time frame and context
- Draft the BoQ, technical drawings, workplan and site layouts
Duration of the collaboration
The successful candidate is expected to start 1st February 2019. Objectives and deliverables must be achieved within 6 weeks.
Requested candidate profile
The consultant will report to the Shelter and Infrastructure Manager and will conduct the following activities:
- Degree in water resources management, hydraulics, engineering
- At least five (5) years of relevant working experience in design and construction of water supply and distribution systems, with strong knowledge of applied engineering principles in fluid mechanics and structure
- Past relevant experience in the provision of consultancy services with similar purpose in the Water sectors
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Standards in water quality and quantity, as well as knowledge of local regulation laws for the construction of water infrastructures
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Good organizational skills and Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of English, written and spoken
- Advantage if holding a valid Iraqi working visa or an Iraqi/Kurdish national
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit:
- CV, including at least three (3) references
- Cover letter
- Methodology proposal, including work-plan
- Financial proposal
Deadline for applications
17 January 2019
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested Applicants should submit their Technical and Financial alongside support documentation to not later than 17 January 2019