Jal Seva Charitable Foundation (JSCF) is registered in India as a not for profit company under Chapter 8 of the Companies Act, 2013. JSCF, is an associate member of WaterAid International and uses the brand name ‘WaterAid’ in India. Water Aid’s mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. WaterAid India’s goal is to “Make Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) poverty history in the country”.
WaterAid began working in India in 1986. The head office is in New Delhi. WaterAid India also has Regional Programme Offices in Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad and Lucknow. We currently work in 11 states in the country.
WAI’s Programme focus in the next five years is on promoting and securing rights and access to safe water, improved hygiene and sanitation for the poor in particular, through direct services, and millions more through our influencing work.
To manage the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of high quality, innovative programmes out of the Region Offices, in accordance with the WaterAid India strategy.
Strategy development and implementation:
- Ensure that all region/state-level projects and future proposals both derive from and reinforce the organisation’s strategy development process
- Manage and work with Regional Managers to ensure that the organisation has the right partners to deliver on the organisation’s strategy and commitments
- Update national and region/state-level plans and projects with lessons learned from ongoing projects
- Work towards all the organisation’s programmes achieving common standards of excellence, cost-effectiveness, financial management, accountability and reporting
- Project management of all critical grants as identified from time to time
- Monitor and provide clear top-line MIS and financial data and analysis and insight thereof for the Regional Offices on a periodic basis or as requested
- Create system and process that ensure that we respect our partners and able to benefit from their expertise and understanding
- Identify approaches, processes and practices that can be scaled-up across the organisation in all locations
- Set, manage, and monitor programme delivery and expenditure, adhering to financial guidelines, ensuring value for money, and acting as appropriate within delegated authorities
Advocacy and policy:
- Work closely with the Policy function, ensuring programmes are in line with and are contributing towards organisational policy and advocacy objectives by delivering on their region and state advocacy plans
- Ensure reliable information is generated from programmes to support the development of communications materials, and evidence for advocacy work
Grant management, resource mobilisation
- Take responsibility for Regional Offices delivering and reporting on their grant deliverables as per the original proposals and following organisation’s grant policies and donor requirements
- Provide suitable new programme proposals to the Resource Mobilisation team for high value donors
- Provide programme information to the Media & Communications team, on timely basis, to support their efforts
- Ensure that Regional Offices are fully conversant and compliant with grant management and finance procedures
- Share accountability with and support Regional Offices in managing their grant budgets and general funds professionally
- Oversee budgets and be responsible for professional and timely reporting on progress on grant and unrestricted fund expenditure to our donors
- Development and management of Delhi urban programme and other special projects
- Lead, manage and develop Water Aid’s urban programmes in Delhi and other special projects in line with the strategic plan and organizational policies and frameworks to ensure maximum impact and effectiveness
- Build participative relationships with partner organizations to achieve partnership objectives; develop partners’ capacity, learning, and provide appropriate technical support
- Develop and strengthen partnerships, networks, and alliances among sector stakeholders, government counterparts, and NGOs involved in water and sanitation related activities to influence the sector for replication and scale up
- Lead, manage, and motivate direct reports, ensuring that all direct reports follow the organisation’s performance management system
- Contribute as a Country Management Team member in the strategic planning and development of policies
Eligibilities and requirements
- Post-graduate degree or an equivalent field, from a reputed university/institute
- Between 10 to 15 years of relevant work experience in similar organisational/functional context and minimum three years of senior management experience
- Demonstrated skills and experience in programme management, preferably with solid exposure/understanding of WASH
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues
- Experience of working with government and NGOs along with an understanding of the issues involved
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control, project management, and securing and managing grants
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options, and to think and plan strategically
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate, and develop others
- Good communication skills, both verbal and writing in English and preferably, vernacular, along with superior networking abilities
- To apply please download the attached application form. Kindly note that ONLY applications submitted on WaterAid's standard application form will be considered.
- Please mention position and location in the subject line “Head of Programme”.
- Please save the application form with your name and position, you have applied. Completed applications should be sent to
- Closing date: 24 January 2019.
- Applications are being considered on rolling basis.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be intimated for the interview.
WaterAid is an equal opportunity employer; women and the differently abled are particularly encouraged to apply.
Job Email id: waindhr(at)wateraid.org
Download Attachment: 25609877_WAI Application Form (1).doc