Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office Goma, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of IOM Shelter/WASH activities in camps and out of camps in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). S/he will assist the concerned programme unit with the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of and implement and monitor administrative and operational activities of approved Shelter/WASH projects for a given area.
- Monitor and supervise the Shelter/WASH field assistants responsible for the execution of project components in a given area.
- Track and follow up on all technical aspects of IOM construction work (Shelter and WASH) including but not limited to assessment, design, Bill of Quantities (BoQ) calculation, tendering, technical specification, and monitoring while liaising with partner organizations and governmental authorities to facilitate cooperation and effectiveness.
- Assist with and contribute technical inputs for the development and implementation of Shelter/WASH design standards, monitoring mechanisms, quality control & assurance mechanisms, and construction specifications in respective technical field.
- Compare the actual working progress with the work plan agreed with the donor and recommend the required action for successful completion as per the work plan.
- Conduct joint verification site visits and check that projects are completed to a satisfactory standard before any payments are authorized.
- Ensure up to date and accurate record keeping, including Shelter/WASH project inspections, audits, actual quantities maintained and drawings, and ensure variations and addendums are issued correctly.
- Participate in all relevant forums, including cluster coordination meetings, inter-cluster meetings and partner meetings.
- Support the implementation of small scale mitigation & site development work in coordination with the CCCM team, map safety risks and other hazards at site level and surrounding communities when feasible.
- Maintain appropriate links with national/local authorities, state institutions, civil society and other relevant stakeholders, including effective coordination and information exchange with them.
- Assist with the development of IOM Shelter/WASH standard operating procedures as well as other strategic documents.
- Participate in resource mobilization efforts as well as meeting donor reporting requirements and provide Shelter/WASH technical representation for a given area in meetings with donors, governmental entities, and other organizations.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Architecture or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Relevant professional experience in disaster management in humanitarian context, Shelter and WASH;
- Experience with international organizations, in development, implementation and evaluation, and/or programme implementation and management;
- Experience in Shelter, WASH, and project management;
- Familiarity with different project cycle steps and donor relations;
- Ability to supervise large numbers of staff;
- Experience to utilize and operate engineering-related software such as AutoCAD.
Fluency in French and English is required. Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.