The position is responsible for managing Water For People India Trust’s programme in Kamrup District, Assam. The programme focuses on ensuring sustained access to safe drinking water, water for sanitation in schools and on hygiene promotion. The position is responsible for rolling out and managing the programme implementation, NGO partnerships and other collaborations. The position is also responsible for engaging in sectoral dialogue and nurturing public and private partnerships in the project. In addition to managing the project team, the position will coordinate and engage with Water For People’s team in Kolkata/Delhi.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage baseline studies and assessments to establish the status of key water and sanitation indicators in schools and communities.
- Engage in the development of program strategy towards block transformation – focusing on Improved WASH in facilities and communities
- Identify possible collaborations for implementation, technical support, scaling up and replication.
- Develop mechanisms for synergistic efforts of partner organizations/program components, coordinated interface with the local government Institutions an other stakeholders in the district.
- Develop an annual detailed plan for implementation of the initiative.
- Develop program budgets and possible areas for mobilizing co-finance.
- Programme Management and Implementation
- Manage, implement and monitor interventions within agreed timelines as per annual plans
- Ensure following all guidelines related to procurements, program implementation and program quality as developed at the inception of the program
- Develop field movement plans and engage with teams to facilitate seamless implementation of the program
- Specifically engage in the institution building components and ensure routine follow up at the schools and communities is maintained
- Establish routine program review process with the teams and stakeholders (government, other development players)
- Present program progress through regular and periodic review meetings
- Bring to the attention of the line manager/senior management, any issues affecting achievement of program outcomes and suggest mitigation measures
- Responsible for submission of high quality reports on monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress (both narrative and financial).
- Review all budgets and expenses related to program and necessary authorization as per the specified authority limits
- Engage with the finance team for monthly monitoring of program finances against operational plans and budgets, in line with the guidelines of the Donor/s and Water For People India as well as the statutory requirements.
- Support all program assessments, audits and compliance reviews and ensure integration of all recommendations
- In consultation with the communications team/point person, manage a local level process documentation on program approaches and processes, components and monitoring data.
- Guide and support program team and implementing partners to achieve program objectives.
- Engage with the team on monthly plans and monitoring of activities and budget utilisation, coordinate for fund flow and financial protocols.
- Manage technical and academic collaborations established under the initiative.
- Donor Management
- With support from the line manager, follow and adopt program compliances.
- Collaborate and participate for effective management of donor relationship.
- Participate in routine calls and communication with the donor, Water For People India team to share updates on program progress, achievements, challenges and data related queries (programmatic and financial).
- Provide required documents for sharing updates and draft any specific requests for Water For People India management/donor.
- Organize, engage and participate in all on-site visits, meetings and consultations, events at the project location.
Education/Qualifications & Experience
- Post-graduation in Social Sciences; Management (or any equivalent field)
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: (i) Managing Safe Drinking Water initiatives; (ii) Social Behaviour Change communication; (iii) capacity building on WASH, especially of local governance and PRIs
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context
- Prior experience of working in Assam (At least 3 years).
- Knowledge of Assamese Language (Reading & Writing) is strongly desirable
- Experience of working with government stakeholders and government liaising would be preferred.
- Holistic understanding of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion and inter-sectoral linkages.
- Analytical ability to analyse policies and implementation strategies of government programs.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (at senior levels)
- Ability to manage, develop and motivate team to maximize their potential and drive performance.
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve results, while maintaining congeniality and professionalism.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of GIS will be added advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
- Connects to the Mission – embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – shows empathy, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Action-oriented – has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
- Manages through Ambiguity - demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
- Self-confident - handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to travel domestically to project locations, where travel is rugged, up to 80% of time
- Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors
- This position will be based at Kamrup District, Assam.
Application Process & Last Date
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to by or before 18th January 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Project Officer” in the subject line.
Considering the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.