Director (Environmental Affairs)
Leads the company’s global Environmental Affairs programs, with direct oversight of the Environmental team responsible for company strategies & programs to manage risks associated with the environment. Reports to and advises the Vice President, Safety and Sustainability. Occasionally reports to the CRTC on Environmental matters.
Ensures policies, standards, systems and resources are in place at all Company sites and operations to:
- identify and manage all significant environmental risks associated with our operations, in compliance with applicable regulations and best practice;
- secure all appropriate licenses, permits and approvals of an environmental nature required for the company’s operations; and ensure that the Company is in material compliance with the terms and conditions of all licenses, permits, approvals, and applicable regulatory environmental requirements in relation to its properties, including necessary environmental and safety filings and reporting;
- report on matters of Corporate Governance associated with environmental matters including tailings facility performance;
- identify, prevent, and prepare for response to potential environmental emergencies at the company’s operations and support crisis management and communications;
- develop effective and feasible plans for mine closure;
- oversee all reclamation and closure cost estimating to support business planning, cost accounting and financial surety;
- oversee corporate tailings dam performance standard and program to insure complete management of all tailing facility risks;
- share best practices, learned lessons, and innovations in the area of environment between functions and between operations of the Company and encourage continuous improvement;
- identify and monitor regulatory changes in the area of environment that could affect the company’s operations, and implement appropriate engagement and/or mitigation strategies;
- mobilizes the expertise of the Environmental team, and where necessary external expert resources, to help operations address Environmental issues and challenges;
- advises management on Environmental objectives, targets, and metrics and helps management assess the Environmental performance of the company and its subsidiaries;
- identifies and monitors Environmental issues that do or could impact Kinross on a global scale, and works with management to implement appropriate responses including engagement in policy development and participation in associations and organizations;
- oversees periodic review and revision of Environmental management systems, standards, and procedures; makes recommendations to senior management for modifications to company-wide policies and programs related to Corporate Responsibility, Safety & Sustainability;
- ensures due diligences is applied regarding matters of Environmental related to corporate transactions, and advises management on those matters accordingly;
- oversees the company’s Environmental aspects of the Corporate Responsibility reporting, working with Operations and other functions as required;
- insures there is a comprehensive and effective succession management strategy in place for the Environmental team, and continuously builds the capabilities of the team and its members.
Education and Experience
- University degree in engineering, business, environmental science, or political/social science
- Masters, MBA or LLB
- Minimum of 15 years of work experience in the mining industry in environmental issues and policy, including on site management and international experience
- Experience with all stages of the mine life cycle, including due diligence, exploration, permitting, construction, commissioning, and operations through to closure.
- At least 7+ years’ operating at the management level with team management responsibilities
- Previous experience interacting with Senior Management on environmental matters
- Exposure to industry and legislative authorities on policy development issues
- Previous experience in development and implementation of corporate-wide Environmental management systems and performance metrics
- Expert knowledge of technical environmental issues including tailings stability, water management and water treatment, assessment of environmental risks, acid rock drainage / metals leaching, hydrogeology, wetlands, design and quality assurance of monitoring systems, and regulatory compliance/reporting
- Previous experience with permitting processes in various jurisdictions, including baseline studies, environmental and social impact assessment, consultation, and coordination with internal design/project teams
- Expert knowledge of environmental management systems, including hazard identification / risk assessment, controls for critical tasks, incident management and investigation, incorporation of environmental protection into design, site performance and environmental leadership, as well as regulatory compliance
- Expert knowledge of internationally accepted environmental best practices
- Previous experience auditing Environmental systems
- Demonstrated alignment with Kinross Core Values and Leadership Capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build relationships with diverse individuals, strong influencing skills
- Excellent diplomatic and communication abilities.
- Must be fluent in English. Fluency in other Kinross languages (French, Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish, and/or Russian) preferred.
• Exceptional presentation, project planning skills, delivery execution and oral and written communication skills
• Strong management and organizational skills; ability to prioritize effectively and provide direction to highly skilled individuals within the department
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills