Ethiopia nationals: Senior Technical Utility Operation consultant
Provision of technical support to the Itang utility for electromechanical operations of the water supply system
The Consultant’s major tasks will be related to the day-to-day operation of the Itang water supply system with training for the utility staff to take over progressively more roles in the operation of the system.
The specific tasks for the consultant is - but not limited to:
- Identify, develop, and review electro-mechanical requirements for the water system;
- Inspect supplies for quality and compatibility, supervise installation, and monitor functionality of equipment and materials;
- Monitor service and pumping times and water production rates;
- Ensure availability of fuel and lubricants for running of pumps at pumping stations for daily operations and ensure reasonable contingency at all stations of the system;
- Review spare part logs and available supplies for the continued operation of the system;
- Mobilize water system guards/generator operators and plumbers to avert problems encountered in relation to generators, pumps, and pipelines;
- Assess the maintenance and rehabilitation requirements of electromechanical parts of water supply systems;
- Supervise and monitor performance, progress, and daily assignments for operators, technicians, and plumbers;
- Prepare specifications and inform the utility of procurement needs for electromechanical parts, fuel, tools, and other equipment and parts needs for the operation and maintenance of the system;
- Maintain, rehabilitate and install electromechanical parts as needed;
- Provide clear and non-overlapping tasks for water system guards/generator operators and plumbers;
- Collect and compile log sheets for maintenance, fuel consumption, and operational hours from each generator;
- Ensure chlorination of water to all users of the system to appropriate levels;
- Investigate and propose organizational structures of the operators in place and operators to be newly established;
- Immediately report failure of equipment, including meters, generators, and pumps requiring external support to the utility General Manager and the UNICEF WASH Officer;
- Contribute to reporting mechanisms in accordance to UNICEF’s requirements;
- Collaborate with UNICEF staff in Gambella; and
- Provide timely and quality technical advice to regional and local authorities, UNICEF, and other involved partners on different WASH issues as requested.
The Consultant will support UNICEF and local authorities in the implementation of the tasks outlined in this TOR. Coordination with different partners and actors is of upmost importance to ensure smooth implementation of UNICEF’s supported activities in the selected regions. The Consultant will report to the UNICEF WASH Officer in Gambella and the Itang Town Water Utility General Manager.
- Monthly updated utility staff microplans outlining the training needs and progress of utility operators, technicians, and plumbers
- Monthly procurement needs reports to the utility for fuel, spare parts, and other tools
- Daily report of water production to Thurpham, Itang, Ngunyiel, Tierkidi, and Kule via email or SMS to UNICEF and the utility
- Weekly fuel consumption reports to UNICEF and the utility
- End of contract report at the conclusion of the assignment
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in Electromechanical studies or related technical fields*
*A TVET diploma for an electromechanical technician combined with 8 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an University Degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience in water infrastructure, specifically with electromechanical systems
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.