Policy Assistant (Internship)
Who we are:
The Bellona Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation that aims to meet and fight the climate challenges, through identifying and implementing sustainable environmental solutions. We work towards reaching a greater ecological understanding, protection of nature, the environment and health. Bellona is engaged in a broad specter of current national and international environmental questions and issues around the world.
Pollution knows no borders, thus Bellona works with and against anyone and everyone relevant to our work, both nationally and internationally. Bellona has a solution-oriented approach to the environmental challenges and has since 1998 had extensive cooperation with a number of companies in different industries and businesses. Our approach is that to achieve results one must jointly work out the best social and environmental solutions, and make these financially profitable and viable. Bellona has always been and remains an independent watch dog that investigates, scrutinises and reports any environmental crime we uncover.
We are looking for a six-month paid intern to support the work on electromobility, decarbonisation of construction sites and in shipping in inland waterways with the team of our Brussels office with a particular focus on Scandinavian countries. The envisaged start date of the internship is February 2018.
- Preparing regular news summaries and updates on climate solutions and technologies of relevance to Bellona’s work;
- Writing articles for Bellona’s website and the monthly Bellona Europa newsletter;
- Monitor, follow-up and report on legislative developments of relevance to Bellona;
- Providing practical and substantive support to the organisation of Bellona conferences and events;
- Attending advocacy meetings, conferences and events and preparing event reports and meeting notes;
- Assisting with ad-hoc translation tasks.
- An undergraduate degree, either in an Engineering field with required policy understanding or European studies, Law, Political Science or similar;
- Knowledge of EU policy and decision-making processes and institutions; Scandinavian policy-making knowledge is a plus;
- Work experience in a relevant field, with professional experience in EU institutions or civil society an asset;
- Written and oral fluency in English; one Scandinavian language (preferably native speaker) is an asset;
- Familiarity with the use of Social Media platforms
- Strong research and analytical skills, and ability to quickly grasp ideas and digest complex information into concise and informative briefs;
- Positive attitude, flexible, enthusiastic, energetic, motivated, team-player and good communicator;
- Legal right to reside and live in Belgium for a minimum of six months.
If you wish to apply please send your CV (maximum two pages) and cover letter (maximum one page) to , indicating ‘Bellona Internship application’ in the subject line, by Sunday, 13 January 2019 latest. Please also indicate where you found our vacancy.