Puget Soundkeeper (Soundkeeper) seeks qualified applicants for a full-time Communications Manager position. The Communications Manager will manage and expand the organization’s social media and online presence, grow grass roots engagement in Soundkeeper’s programs, and develop digital media content and strategies to tell the Soundkeeper story while raising brand awareness to new and existing audiences (including donors, volunteers, and members). The Communications Manager will also provide communications and outreach support in coalition and partnership efforts and facilitate Soundkeeper’s internal and external communications activities. This position reports to the Community Engagement Director and works collaboratively across departments, including monitoring, advocacy, fundraising and pollution prevention outreach.
Puget Soundkeeper’s mission is to protect and preserve the waters of Puget Sound. Soundkeeper works to meaningfully decrease pollutants reaching the Sound by monitoring water quality, enforcing clean water laws, improving policies and regulations, preventing pollution and cleaning up our local waterways. The successful applicant will demonstrate a commitment to this work and may be called upon to represent the organization to donors, vendors, agencies and collaborating organizations. This is a full-time position with paid holidays, vacation and sick time accrual, medical and dental insurance and an employee-funded 403(b) plan.
- With Community Engagement Director, support the development and implementation of Soundkeeper’s strategic communications plan. This includes messaging work, creation of internal communications tools, and targeted outreach planning that advance the organization’s strategic goals and legislative priorities.
- Manage Soundkeeper’s internal and external communications channels, producing both digital content and print materials for multiple platforms, including social media, online (website), and direct outreach events and press conferences.
- Help cultivate and expand earned media for coverage of Soundkeeper stories. Develop press kits, coordinate and support press events, and collaborate with appropriate staff to both maintain and grow media contact list and relationships with reporters.
- Grow Soundkeeper’s social media and online presence; develop innovative and relevant strategies to increase social media engagement across all platforms. Manage budget for social media advertising.
- Manage Soundkeeper’s email database and recommend strategies for growing email communications. Design, edit and manage all email communications, including advocacy, fundraising, monthly newsletter, and event marketing content.
- Work with project teams to develop targeted outreach tools, including fact sheets/FAQs, letters to the editor, op-eds on active advocacy issues for placement, letter of support templates, and internal talking points and resource materials for staff and board to discuss Soundkeeper’s work.
- Coordinate production of all printed materials, work with outside vendors and ensure that materials reinforce Soundkeeper’s brand and strategic goals.
- Facilitate communications trainings with staff, board, and members to grow Soundkeeper’s communications capacity and infrastructure.
- Manage photo and digital content. This includes the archiving and organization of media in various formats, editing photos and videos according to format specs, and work with outside contractors, as necessary to ensure high-quality media and content for distribution.
- Manage the Soundkeeper website. Develop and solicit content for blog posts and website updates, and work with contractors to ensure website is timely, relevant, and resonates with key audiences, including meeting the needs of existing supporters.
- 2-4 years of experience in communications, preferably with nonprofits.
- Experience developing communications strategy and identifying key audiences, messages and tactics that support organizational goals.
- Strong personal communications skills including ability to clearly communicate orally and in writing to both internal staff and partners as well as external audiences.
- Experience in cross-cultural communications, speaking to diverse audiences, strong interest in advancing equity in the environmental movement, and an understanding of systemic oppression.
- Growth mindset, interest in trying new things, learning from mistakes, and developing leadership and collaboration skills.
- Independent self-starter who works well in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Able to manage a variety of projects to deadline with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong digital production and writing skills, including web and graphic design, photo editing, database and email publication management, and video production.
- Social media savvy. Demonstrated ability to maximize and leverage multiple platforms, and effectively use social media tools to amplify and grow a brand.
- Innovative storyteller and creative thinker. An interest in crafting stories that are accessible and impactful out of scientific research, studies, and data.
- Some experience with environmental issues, especially relating to water quality and Puget Sound topics. Aptitude for quickly grasping technical information and the ability to translate high-level legal and scientific documents into compelling materials for general audiences.
- Experience with WordPress, Salsa Labs, standard office software, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc), database management and social media tools.
- Passion for Soundkeeper’s mission.
- Willing to work some evenings and weekends as required.
- Salary range $45,000 – 50,000 depending on experience (full time-exempt position)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, 10 paid holidays, vacation and sick time accrual.
- Opportunities for professional development.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter with your resume to or send it to 130 Nickerson Street, Ste.107, Seattle, WA 98109. Please use Communications Manager Position in the subject line or address.
All applicants will be reviewed. Please no phone calls.
This position is open until filled.