Consultant (for delivering lectures on water diplomacy in Turkmenistan)
International Consultant for delivering lectures on water diplomacy in Turkmenistan
Water management is important for all states. Worldwide, water demands are growing, groundwater levels are dropping, water bodies are increasingly contaminated, and delivery and treatment infrastructure is aging. The need for negotiation and cooperation between domestic and transboundary watershed stakeholders tends to arise. Water disputes are a priority at local, regional, national, and international levels.
The USAID “Governance Support Program in Turkmenistan” (GSP) and Office of the “Regional Ecological Center in Central Asia” in Turkmenistan (CAREC) are cooperating in the area of improving water management legislative base. Within the context of above mentioned a series of lectures on water diplomacy will be delivered for high institutions of Turkmenistan. The Activity aims at addressing water diplomacy issues and the capacity building of civil servants and students. Education and capacity building are absolute requirements to empower all those who are closely or indirectly involved in water or water related disputes. It is crucial to provide a high standard education to new generations of water professionals. In addition, it is essential to continuously train those already active, to better understand the options available to address latent or actual competition over water and how to take into account technical, scientific, political, or governance-related factors.
Overall Objective and Purpose
The overall objective of this assignment is to deliver lectures on water diplomacy for the students of the Institute of International Relations, the International University for Humanities and Development, and the attendees of the Academy of Civil Service under the President of Turkmenistan.
- Develop the program and presentation materials for the lectures on water diplomacy for the students of the Institute of International Relations, the International University for Humanities and Development and the attendees of the Academy of Civil Service;
- Submit a detailed program to CAREC and USAID Governance Support Program;
- Deliver 9 lectures on the topics below listed:
- Transboundary Water Resources and Global Regional Conventions,
- Water Resources and International Law,
- Models and Mechanisms of Transboundary Water Cooperation,
- Resolution of Transboundary Water Disputes,
- Water Conflicts and Water Disputes,
- Cooperative Management of International Water Resources.
- Provide a Report including recommendations on the topics of further possible lectures that Turkmenistan students can benefit from.
Duration of the Work
The total duration of the consultancy shall be 7 working days, including 3 days in Turkmenistan.
Tentative dates for lectures are December 19-21, 2018. The dates of the activities are contingent upon Turkmenistan Government approval.
The report will be sent to CAREC and GSP.
The duty station will be Ashgabat city, Turkmenistan.
- PhD in the field of international law, policy and management, international development or similar area.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of implementation or participation in programs on promotion of Transboundary Water Cooperation, Resolution of Transboundary Water Disputes, Cooperative Management of International Water Resources;
- Ability to think conceptually and analytically and make her/his contribution into increasing knowledge of audience in transboundary water cooperation and water disputes;
- Excellent skills in lectures delivery.
- Fluent knowledge of verbal and written Russian and English languages.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume.
- Click on the link: Biodata AID1420-17, fill out the form, sign it, and attach/upload it to your application. You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume, completed biodata, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without resume and/or biodata will not be considered.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. AA//V/D.
Share on your newsfeed
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.