TMF Junior Hydrologist
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are looking for a Junior Hydrologist, to join in project Cobre Panama
Role and Responsibilities
The TMF Junior Hydrologist will report to the TMF Water Resources Engineer.
Reporting to the TMF Water Resources Engineer this position is a great opportunity to apply your skills to mine water and tailings management and receive on the job training to grow your career. You will be responsible for providing support in different tasks related to site-wide water management.
The TMF Junior Hydrologist key responsibilities will include:
- Implementation and maintenance of surface and groundwater monitoring programs
- Perform hydro meteorological data analyses for key inputs such as rainfall, flow rates, evaporation, among others
- Run and process outputs from numerical models used for planning
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team associated with the TMF operations
- Draft technical reports linked with water management
- Participate in drone field surveying and data processing programs
- Perform other tasks as requested using standard methods and techniques related to hydrology
To be successful in this role you will require:
- Degree in Hydrology or related field of study
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word, and the integration of spreadsheets, database tables and text files with other software
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and/or GIS software an asset
- 0 - 2 years of professional and/or academic experience with projects associated to hydrology
- Bilingual English/Spanish would be beneficial
- Physical fit and able to work in the field
- High level of attention to details
- Numerical analysis skills
- Exposure to mining industry an asset
- Aptitude to learning and interest in developing skills related to hydrology
Self sufficient/self starter
Advertised: 27 Nov 2018 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 30 Dec 2018 Eastern Standard Time