International consultant to support the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Sanitation Enterprise Development
How can you make a difference?
To provide strategic urban sanitation capacity to the UNICEF Sudan Country Office in support of the UW4D project in the implementation of Urban Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) in two state capitals towns of Central Darfur (Zalingei) and North Darfur (El Fasher). More specifically the consultancy will assist the Locality government in implementing Master Plan provision on transforming sanitation as a social enterprise and provision of Sanitation in public places on PPP basis.
The Consultant will provide strategic technical capacity for the operationalising the national ODF protocol to verification and certification of communities for ODF status. Besides, the consultant will work with private artisans and construction-related private entrepreneurs to help them become small-scale sanitation enterprises catering for all aspects of a sanitation business leading to provision of more affordable yet affordable household toilets. The consultant will also operationalise the provision of public sanitation services in the two towns (El Fasher and Zalingei) through private sector engagement and establishment of scalable models.
- Develop capacities of key stakeholders in operationalization of ODF verification and certification protocol.
- Train and mobilize community activists (called barefooted community consultants which are selected from the existing ODF communities) to deliver additional ODF settlements under performance contracts (payment linked to delivery of ODF communities).
- With the assistance of the project manager and in collaboration with Local Authorities train and transform existing local artisans to become toilet business entrepreneurs.
- Affect provision and management of toilets in public places on Public-Private Partnership (PPP) basis:
- Conduct assessment of current best practices in PPP approaches in the state
- Identify government priorities and existing regulations supporting PPP in public places
- Identify best way forward for delivering public sanitation in consultation with key stakeholders
- With the technical assistance of locality etc develop designs of appropriate WASH facilities to be constructed in public places
- Develop standard agreements/MOU to be signed between private entrepreneurs and locality administration.
- Identify, mobilise, train and deploy private entrepreneurs to construct and management toilets in Public places on PPP basis Document the approach for future refinement
- Document best practices under UW4D using UNICEF learning notes/case study formats.
- Locality level Sanitation Task force notified and trained in ODF certification protocol.
- 20 Community Consultants deployed to deliver at least 10 ODF settlements under a performance contract with locality administration.
- Five Toilet Business Owners (TBO) mobilised in support of sanitation marketing
- Five PPP MOUs signed with entrepreneurs for provision of WASH facilities in Public Places.
- Training material developed for i) training of TBOs, ii) training of entrepreneurs for PPP for provision of WASH services in Public Places and iii) training of Community Consultant to deliver ODF settlements under a performance contract.
- Best practices on: i) engagement of TBOs, ii) PPP with entrepreneurs for provision of WASH services in Public Places and iii) engagement of community consultants to deliver ODF settlements under performance contracts under UW4D documented using UNICEF leaning notes/case study format
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in Environmental or Sanitary engineering or equivalent
- with at least ten years professional work experience in urban sanitation infrastructure development.
- Experience of working with donors/development partners is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required but wworking knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Strong negotiating, communication and advocacy skills required besides computer skills, including various office applications.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.