U.S. citizens: Staff Scientist (Watershed Hydrology / Biogeochemistry)
The Earth Sciences Group within the Environmental Sciences Division, http://www.esd.ornl.gov, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), http://www.ornl.gov, is seeking a Staff Scientist position in watershed hydrology or watershed biogeochemistry. We seek a colleague whose research interests include the interaction between hydrology, climate, and earth and environmental systems. The candidate will work with world-leading experimental biogeochemist, field researchers, and computational hydrologist to resolve questions on the influence stream/watershed structure and function on water quality. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who bring unique skills to the Earth Sciences Group existing capabilities, have the ability to contribute to existing programs, and can develop new research programs in experimental hydrology/hydrogeology.
ESD is an interdisciplinary research and development organization with more than 60 years of achievement in local, regional, national, and international environmental research. Our vision is to expand scientific knowledge and develop innovative strategies and technologies that will strengthen the nation’s leadership in creating solutions to help sustain the Earth’s natural resources. Our scientists conduct research, develop technology, and perform analyses to understand and assess responses of environmental systems at the environment-human interface and the consequences of alternative energy and environmental strategies.
The selected candidate will have responsibility for collaboratively leading field and laboratory scale experiments of hyporheic exchange through the application of tracers (non-reactive and reactive), isotopic signatures, sensor networks, novel observational tools, and other novel approaches to research. Additional responsibilities will include maintaining detailed scientific records, analyzing experimental data, presenting results within the research group and at national and international conferences, and preparing manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals. The nature of our scientific work is highly multidisciplinary, and projects will be carried out in close collaboration with scientists from a variety of scientific backgrounds, including geochemistry, microbiology, biochemistry, physical chemistry, or a related field to investigate the biogeochemical transformation of trace elements, nutrients, and contaminants in a stream system.
- PhD in hydrology, stream hydrology, watershed hydrology, hydrogeology, civil & environmental engineering, geology, geochemistry, or related discipline
- Experience with conducting stream or river corridor studies of hyporheic exchange is highly desired
- Positive and self-starting attitude is required
- Post-doctoral experienced, highly desired for junior candidates and a minimum of 5 years of experience for consideration of a more senior ranking
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a large, multidisciplinary team and should be able to design and execute experiments, perform data analyses and interpretation of experimental results
- Strong record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences, and experience with environmental biogeochemistry or material science are expected
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills are required
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.