Council Oak is a small, public policy consulting firm that focuses on water resources, public infrastructure, and environmental topics. Headquartered in Falls Church, VA, Council Oak specializes in assisting government agencies make scientifically-informed decisions, communicate program requirements and benefits, meaningfully engage stakeholders, and design programs and governance to efficiently and effectively administer programs. Council Oak staff includes expert neutral facilitators and collaboration specialists, public policy analysts, communications professionals, and program evaluators.
- Bachelor’s (Master’s preferred) in communications, marketing, journalism or related discipline. 8-15 years of experience.
- Prior work experience assisting public agencies in developing and communications plans and strategies. Consulting experience is a plus.
- Skill and experience in translating technical, scientific, and engineering concepts to a non-technical audience.
· Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design. should also be able to effectively present concepts verbally. Journalistic writing or technical writing are both relevant.
- Subject matter expertise in topic areas of natural resources, water resources, levee/dam safety, emergency management or community planning is a plus.
- Ability to balance several project and deadlines simultaneously while managing and tracking activities and deadlines.
- Serve as lead for development of communications strategies and materials for various government clients.
- Create and develop print and online materials, create and maintain website content, develop communication and outreach strategies, prepare analytical papers, create eye-catching electronic presentations, and develop social marketing campaigns
- Review / manage materials developed by other team members and clients.
- Work with graphics and video specialists to develop key materials and products. Graphics experience is a plus, but not necessary.
This is a full-time position based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Some flexibility in working hours. Limited travel required (estimated at 4-5 weeks per year).
Council Oak is a virtual company. Employees must maintain a home office that is productive and allows for professional demeanor.
Benefits, retirement plan, paid vacation. Equal opportunity employer.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
If you are interested in this position, please send resume and product samples to Linda Manning, President, Council Oak at .