Under general guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the Senior Emergency and Programmes Coordinator/Head of Programmes and the direct supervision of the Head, Returns and Recovery Unit, the successful candidate is expected to complete the below deliverables:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
IOM Iraq is to start a four-month research project to assess causes and consequence - including population movements and internal displacement- of the ongoing water crisis affecting Iraq, in an attempt to increase understanding of the problem, and its potential impacts.
2. BACKROUND AND RATIONALE
Iraq is considered an arid to semi-arid country - the average annual rainfall does not exceed 166 mm-, making the country highly dependent on its main hydraulic resources: the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers. However, water discharges in both rivers are decreasing at an unprecedent rate. Additionally, and due to global climate change, the country faces a decrease in the annual rainfall, and an increase in average temperatures.
The water crisis may have multiple implications at the humanitarian, economic, security and social levels. Also, lack of water may prompt displacement. In 2012, due to the drought that affected the country, 20,000 individuals were displaced due to the lack of water in agricultural communities.
In an internal preliminary assessment carried out from April to July 2018, IOM Iraq identified a total of 130 locations affected by lack of water in the Southern governorates (93 locations in Muthanna, 28 in Missan, 7 in Thi Qar and 2 in Basra). IOM field teams also indicated the presence of 43 locations affected by drought in the central region: Najaf (6 locations), Kerbala (12), Wassit (12) and Qadissyia (13) governorates.
The current water crisis is expected to get worse and affect a larger geographical area. Some of the affected governorates such as Najaf have started to host families displaced as a result of the water crisis.
3. RESEARCH AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
Research is needed to understand the extent of the crisis, with detailed information of the situation on the ground, in order to understand the causes and consequences of the crisis as well as to determine a set of key recommendations to reduce the water crisis and related displacement.
4. RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Assess causes contributing to the water crisis affecting Central and Southern governorates of Iraq
2. Asses the consequences of the crisis, with a focus on drought-related displacement risk in the Central and Southern governorates of Iraq, identifying geographical pockets prone to displacement due to water.
3. Identify population groups at risk in the identified locations.
4. Analyze causes of water shortage and identify potential interventions that are needed to mediate or prevent the negative effects of the current water shortage.
5. Categorize locations according to kind of intervention needed
6. Evaluate relevant environmental policies current in place and steps to optimize their implementation.
5. Core responsibilities and Deliverables:
· Define the project objectives and methodology of the research study.
· Design the data collection tools of the study.
· Conduct literature review
· Conduct and/or oversee related fieldwork according to the agreed methodology.
· Conduct data cleaning and data analysis
· Produce a report as per agreed template provided by IOM Iraq.
· Contribute to the presentation and dissemination of project findings
· Literature Review
· Detailed research methodology
· Preliminary outline of findings report
· Data collection tool
· Transcripts of interviews / focus groups (if applicable)
· Clean data set
· Findings report
- PhD in Hydrology and Water Management, Environmental and Natural Resources Studies, Civil, Mining or Geotechnical engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 03 years of relevant professional experience; or
- Master’s degree in the above fields with 05 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in international organizations and the humanitarian community;
- Experience in the development and implementation of research projects
- Work experience in and knowledge of Iraq a distinct advantage;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of water management resources, preferably in the Iraqi context
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of research methodologies and tool design
- Analytical skills and knowledge of statistical analysis software (SAS, Stata, SPSS)
- Knowledge of data cleaning and quality control procedures an asset
- Understanding and knowledge of IOM-DTM system and requirements an asset
· Professionalism and accountability
· Fluency in English, Arabic is an advantage.