The Charles E. Via, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Virginia Tech invites applications for a postdoctoral position located at the Occoquan Watershed Monitoring Laboratory (OWML) in Manassas, Virginia. The successful candidate will act as an expert on science-policy boundary work with the Global Environment Nutrient Network (GEN-2) team. Essential responsibilities include conducting both primary and secondary research on the effective management of policy issues around nutrient pollution, educating the rest of the GEN-2 team on state-of-the-art theories and practices in productive boundary work at the science-policy interface, and working with the GEN-2 team to develop a full NSF-CERC proposal.
Specific tasks include:
• Conducting a comprehensive literature review on governance of nutrient pollution, paying particular attention to innovative approaches that bring scientists, policy-makers and other stakeholder together;
• Educating the rest of the GEN-2 team on the latest theories and methods in fostering productive boundary work at the science-policy interface;
• Facilitating a workshop on effective governance at the science-policy interface, involving the GEN-2 team and other experts and/or stakeholders;
• Helping the GEN-2 team develop a CERC proposal, contributing throughout but in particular on policy and governance-related sections; and
• Working with GEN-2 team to conduct original research on case site(s) that feature policy challenges around nutrient pollution issues, and work with the team to publish the results.