Featured job: U.S. citizens: Chief Engineer, P.E. - Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (CUC) (Northern Mariana Islands)
POSITION TITLE: Chief Engineer, P.E.
DEPARTMENT: Water & Wastewater Engineering Division
LOCATION: Saipan, Northern Marianas Islands, USA
ANNUAL SALARY: $100,000.00 per annum (commensurate with qualifications and experience), Exempt
CONTRACT: 2 Year Contract
POSITION(S): One (1)
The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (“CUC”) is a government utility providing power, water, and wastewater services in the Northern Mariana Islands (NMI), a U.S. Commonwealth in the western pacific. CUC is under a Stipulated order of the United States of America vs. the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Civil Case 08-0051 filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands.
The incumbent of this position is under the overall supervision of the Deputy Executive Director (Water and Waste Water) or his/her designee.
- Coordinates and meets with other divisional sections and corporate divisions to coordinate activities and projects.
- Supervises engineering support staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staffs are trained; and, making, hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Performs project management activities to include preparing reports, memorandums and recommendations; developing scope of work, providing technical reviews; surveying for projects, evaluating proposals, monitoring project process, approving payment, and, recommending award of projects.
- Prepares engineering designs, plans and specifications, collects date and performs research.
- Troubleshoots systems and equipment. Reviews work performed by engineers. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required by CUC and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Education: Master’s Degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering. Registration as a Professional Engineer pursuant to the National Council of Engineering Examiners standards in either the civil, mechanical or electrical branch; Experience of ten (10) or more years as a professional engineer.
Demonstrate the following: Proven management and communication skills; Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff; Competency and proficiency in overseeing major drinking water and wastewater systems during the periods of planning,, design, construction, and operation of drinking water systems’ production, treatment, and distribution, and in wastewater treatment, collection and conveyance systems.
Knowledge of: Safe work practices; Applicable Federal, State, and/or Local laws, rules and regulations; Project management principles; Mathematical concepts; Construction principles; Engineering principles and practices.
Skills in: Monitoring and evaluating staff; Prioritizing and assigning work to staff; Managing multiple projects; Interpreting and applying Federal, State, and/or Local laws, rules and regulations; Interpreting drawings; Preparing a variety of technical report and/or documentation; Presenting technical information to management, public groups, and other related individuals; Reading and interpreting scaled drawings; Preparing specifications, plans, and cost estimates; Conducting studies; Using computers and related software applications; Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- A valid driver’s license with appropriate class.
All applicants may be tested and all applicants are subject to pre-employment drug test.
Relocation Expenses: If hired from outside the CNMI, relocation expenses are negotiable; but they are not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving to Saipan and not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving away from Saipan. Receipts will be required for justification. Other conditions may be applicable.
Please submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, (3) a list of references, (4) a CUC Employment Application and (5) copy of supporting documents by one of the following means:
1. United States Postal Service, First Class Mail or Priority Mail:
Human Resource Office
Commonwealth Utilities Corporation
P.O. Box 501220
Saipan, MP 96950-1220 USA
*If you choose to submit via USPS, please still also fax “or” email “or” drop off your package.
2. Fax: 670-235-5131
3. Email: email@example.com
4. Drop Off: Drop off your package at the CUC Human Resource Office located on the 3rd Floor of the Joeten Dandan Building on Saipan, Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm (Except Legal Holidays). Otherwise, you may drop it off at the CUC Tinian or Rota Administration Office.
Policies: The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation is an equal opportunity provider and employer and will not discriminate or tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.
It is also the policy of CUC to achieve a drug-free workplace and person selected for employment will be required to pass a drug test which screens for illegal drug use prior to final appointment.